    probably stating the obvious!)

    Cheers
    Jon

    Jon Hewer, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Jon Hewer enlightened us with:
    You could help developing Dynamite (contact Dick van Albada from the
    University of Amsterdam for that), perhaps extend it to work with
    Python. It's a system to do process migration from node to node in a
    really nice way. Once a program is compiled with Dynamite, you can
    send it a signal and it'll write it's current state into a new ELF
    binary. You can then move that binary to another node in your
    distributed system, and execute it as any other executable. The
    program will continue to run from where it left off.

    Sybren

    Sybren Stuvel, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Jon Hewer

    Eddie Corns Guest

    Well, there's a dearth of good software for network management especially for
    medium to large networks. Traffic stats, configuration management, device
    status etc. It would certainly be useful but whether it rocks your boat
    interest wise ... Admittedly I personally would like to play with Erlang
    rather than Python for this.

    Eddie

    Eddie Corns, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Am Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:49:34 +0100 schrieb Jon Hewer:
    Hi,

    you could port Python to the WRT54.

    The Linksys WRT54 is a WLAN-Router which runs Linux.

    See http://openwrt.org/

    I think it is a good project for a university. It is software
    and hardware related.

    Thomas

    Thomas Guettler, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Jon Hewer

    Steve Holden Guest

    It would be a good final-year project, but you may want to try something
    that hasn't already been done ... see

    http://skreak.com/wrt54g/python.php

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Jon Hewer

    Ken Starks Guest

    I'd like you to write a Python-SOAP-based interface to data-loggers and
    interface boxes used in the UK at school level. For example, those
    produced by Phillip Harris, which are normally connected by way of a
    serial cable.

    The idea is to keep an old computer with the data-logger attached, and
    the SOAP server installed, in the field or lab. Am I correct in saying
    that Java is too security-bound for this role?

    Personally, I would feed the resulting XML into Cocoon, which already has
    SOAP input, and from there into dataframes in 'R' among other places. Once
    it has entered a Cocoon pipeline, it is already in a very flexible form, and
    Data analysis can be done anywhere that can reach the Cocoon server.

    You may wish to develop that end of the pipeline either using your Java
    skills, or by using XSLT to create Prolog facts or whatever.

    Ken Starks, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Am Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:21:36 -0400 schrieb Steve Holden:
    Hi,

    I know this. This is NFS mounted. You could strip down python to get it
    running standalone.

    Thomas

    Thomas Guettler, Aug 29, 2005