    Do you have an idea on how this can be done, what options do I have to do
    this?

    Thanks

    Guest, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Whether a document is read or not is user-specific. That is, each user will
    have read or not any number of documents. Therefore, the data pertaining to
    what documents are read or not must be maintained and stored persistently
    (over a period of several days to who knows how long) in a user-specific
    manner. In a web application, you have several options for this. One is to
    use cookies. Cookies are fairly reliable, and their expiration can be
    controlled, but they can only store a limited amount of data. Depending on
    how much data you need to store, this may or may not be a viable solution.

    Another is to use a server database. A server database can store a lot of
    data, and you can also control expiration in it, programmatically. You would
    still need to use cookies if the users are logging on anonymously, or use a
    login procedure to view your forums, which could link up the user to their
    server-side data store.

    The third solution is to create some kind of downloadable component, such as
    an ActiveX Control, which creates a client-side application for using the
    forums. This application could maintain a client-side database with any
    user-specific information you want in it. The drawback to this is that your
    users may not want to install it, may not trust it, or may not use the same
    computer when logging on.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    If you push something hard enough,
    it will fall over.
    - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

    Kevin Spencer, Dec 1, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Kevin,

    We'll go with the database solution and impose the expiration. This should
    solve the always growing table problem.

    Cincin

    Guest, Dec 1, 2005