IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mika, Nov 16, 2007.

  1. Mika

    Mika Guest

    Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.

    We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets many
    hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem to find,
    and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while it is still

    Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
    Operation aborted

    Here is an example of the page in question:
    http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]

    We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size of
    the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present, with faster
    broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings alert the user
    that broadband is recommended for this technology.

    As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now needs
    some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it happened were
    related to the body tag but they have been completely undone yet the issue
    remains :-S

    Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

    Regards,
    Mika @ SHS.com

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Mika

    Stevo Guest

    That happens on IE when you try to add items to the DOM before the page
    is complete. Wait for onload event to fire before doing it, or poll the
    document.readyState waiting for "complete" (although "interactive" may
    sometimes be good enough).

    Stevo, Nov 16, 2007

  3. Mika

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:12:37
    GMT Mika scribed:
    I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors, probably
    related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted). Oth, a
    refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser. Ergo, I suspect
    that the abundant j/s is causing the problem. Suggest you try ie7 without
    the j/s on.

    Bone Ur, Nov 16, 2007
  4. Mika

    Mika Guest

    Thanks Bone, however as j/s in crucial we wonder if there is a workaround
    you can think of to this?

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007
  5. Mika

    Mika Guest

    Thanks Stevo.

    Can you elaborate on how we could make the Document Object Model only happen
    after onload, or better still implement your polling suggestion.

    I am not one of the programmers myself, but would appreciate it if you could
    briefly explain in layman's terms what should be done. I.e. "Find and
    change <body onload=... to xxxx", so we can try it here. Many thanks.

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Mika

    Mika Guest

    PS: Due to Opera functionality limitations (partly on the width of
    streetscape pages) that browser is not supported by our site, although what
    you found out is interesting.

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007
  7. Mika

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:07:09
    GMT Mika scribed:
    I notice you're using an "shtml" extension, but...

    Here's something to try. I emphasize it's just a test. Change your
    extension to php and see what happens. (I hope your server supports it.)
    The idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.

    Bone Ur, Nov 16, 2007
  8. Mika

    Mika Guest

    It seems to work! Can anyone replicate the old bug at the new php page?
    http://tinyurl.com/324enb

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007
  9. Mika

    Mika Guest

    That does work http://tinyurl.com/324enb so the theory is sound BUT the
    problem is php does to work correctly with our Google Maps integration, and
    also we use SSI such as <!--#include virtual="/_borders/top.htm"--> which is
    why we need shtml.

    Mika, Nov 16, 2007
  10. Mika wrote:
    idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.
    Ah but you can easily convert that to php like this:

    <?php include_once("/_borders/top.htm"); ?>

    and forego the SSI

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 17, 2007
  11. Mika wrote:

    If you use Apache, you can use rewrite_mod.
    A URI doesn't need to hold the name of the resource on the server side.

    Anyway, changing the URI terminal characters shouldn't change the behavior
    of user agents.
    The fact is: Opera and probably some others RFC-2616 conforming user
    agents doesn't cache, by default, resources the URI of which contains a
    request string following a question mark.
    Please, don't rely on this ridiculous hack. Use proper HTTP headers to
    prevent caching.

    André Gillibert, Nov 17, 2007
  12. Mika

    Mika Guest

    I agree. What headers should we try?

    Is it as simple as changing the doctype?

    Thanks for all the help so far.

    Mika, Nov 17, 2007
  13. Mika

    Mika Guest

    That would be great, but our map code is still thrown completely off by
    using php. If you try to walk along the street, the map walks the wrong
    way, the man does not appear, etc. It looks like we need a solution that
    works with shtml. Perhaps changing the doctype?

    Mika, Nov 17, 2007
  14. Oh that site...I remember a what was it a couple of year ago...

    Well if there was ever a concept not conducive to html, this is it! What
    you really want is Flash, (Yes Travis, if he really want to do this
    thing Flash would be far better) sand progressively load sections...

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 17, 2007
  15. Not sure how my "s" wandered all the way from.............^
    all the way down here!.............^

    Damn gypsy "s"!

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 17, 2007
  16. Mika

    Mika Guest

    Whilst we appreciate the feedback, the site works perfectly well - aside
    from this new bug which has crept in. That is really all we are looking for
    your advice with, and understood someone here might have a neat simple
    solution. In some of the other discussions we are almost there.

    I hope you appreciate that with some much work done and the site working, we
    are not about to completely rewrite it in Flash because of one small glitch.
    Simpler to fix the glitch.

    Thanks in advance to anyone able to help with that.

    Mika, Nov 17, 2007
  17. Mika

    VK Guest

    Accidentally I have read this thread and I noticed that the KB article
    I linked in "Active time for HTTP connection" thread may be giving
    another possible hint:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827

    "If you set the KeepAliveTimeout value to less than 60,000 (one
    minute), you may have problems communicating with Web servers that
    require persistent HTTP connections. For example, you may receive a
    "Page cannot be displayed" error message."

    It may be possible that some visitors have KeepAliveTimeout manually
    set to too short, or that for some requests the inactivity period goes
    beyond the default allowed 60,000ms

    I cannot reproduce your problem neither in IE6 nor IE7 so just
    guessing. If you have a machine stable reproducing the problem, then I
    would check one by one:
    1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \InternetSettings
    Try to set KeepAliveTimeout DWORD value to 180000 and add new key
    ServerInfoTimeout with DWORD value to 180000

    2) Tools :: Internet Options :: Advanced :: HTTP 1.1 settings :: check
    on "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections"
    (default is off)

    VK, Nov 17, 2007
  18. If this is the case because the OP's "web app" requires such delays in
    order process and transmit the site do you really expect visitors to
    hack their default Windows' registry just to see the site? And we have
    long-winded arguments whether or not the average user understands the
    browser back button!

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 17, 2007
  19. Mika

    VK Guest

    Of course not! We are on the stage of identifying the problem, not
    solving it. If my guess is correct - but it may be very well wrong -
    then OP has to think of a server-side adjustment to ensure that the
    inactivity period will never exceed the default KeepAliveTimeout.
    There is a number of such workarounds.

    P.S. Also if this is a problem then the question also gets OT for this
    NG and should be transferred to some server scripting group, depending
    on used server-side software.

    VK, Nov 17, 2007
  20. Mika

    Mika Guest

    Thank you however that is not the error message we receive. 'Operation
    aborted' is the error, and only when refreshing the page whilst it is still
    anyway...
    Have you tried refreshing the page multiple times whilst it is still

    Mika, Nov 17, 2007