    The URL I am using for both the networked PC and personal laptop is the same
    (https://www.subdomain.domainname/default.aspx).

    Does anyone know what could be causing this?

    cashdeskmac, Jul 27, 2009

  2. It depends on the cert you bought and how you generated it.

    In general, a cert is for one domain, in the form of:

    www.domain.com

    You can make it more like domain.com and cover some subdomain issues,
    but you are generally better using a wildcard cert if you are using
    multiple subdomains. They are a bit more expensive, but they cover all
    subdomains under *.domain.com.

    At my last job, we went with a wilcard cert, as we had many subdomains,
    each with a unique IP address.

    Why is it like this? A cert is supposed to show a certain level of trust
    that the site with the cert is safe. A company issuing a cert to your
    company will demand a certain amount of information. To allow subdmains
    is not a big issue, but one can make a bit more money on a wildcard
    cert. It saves you, however, over certing each subdomain. I am not sure
    there is any additional cost in setting up the wildcard, but it is a
    product.

    What can you do? Contac the company and pay for the wildcard. You will
    most likely be told to regenerate the cert and send it in. The
    additional cost will most likely be a few hundred extra.

    I would also look at Mark's suggestion, although I believe you would not
    be able to hit the site if there is no public DNS record, except if you
    wildcarded that all from domain.com get shipped to the same address. I
    have not tested this assertion, so take it for what it is worth
    (educated guess).

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 27, 2009