Internet Explorer cannot disply the web page - SSL problem

cashdeskmac

Hi,

I have deployed a website as a subdomain using an SSL certificate. I can
access this site with no problems from my PC on the local network but users
from outside the network get the error 'Internet Explorer cannot Display the
page'. When I tried it on my laptop (not on the network) I got the same
error. My colleague tried to access it on his phone and was told the server
cannot be found.

The URL I am using for both the networked PC and personal laptop is the same
(https://www.subdomain.domainname/default.aspx).

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Gregory A. Beamer

Hi,

I have deployed a website as a subdomain using an SSL certificate. I
can access this site with no problems from my PC on the local network
but users from outside the network get the error 'Internet Explorer
cannot Display the page'. When I tried it on my laptop (not on the
network) I got the same error. My colleague tried to access it on his
phone and was told the server cannot be found.

The URL I am using for both the networked PC and personal laptop is
the same (https://www.subdomain.domainname/default.aspx).

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

It depends on the cert you bought and how you generated it.

In general, a cert is for one domain, in the form of:

www.domain.com

You can make it more like domain.com and cover some subdomain issues,
but you are generally better using a wildcard cert if you are using
multiple subdomains. They are a bit more expensive, but they cover all
subdomains under *.domain.com.

At my last job, we went with a wilcard cert, as we had many subdomains,
each with a unique IP address.

Why is it like this? A cert is supposed to show a certain level of trust
that the site with the cert is safe. A company issuing a cert to your
company will demand a certain amount of information. To allow subdmains
is not a big issue, but one can make a bit more money on a wildcard
cert. It saves you, however, over certing each subdomain. I am not sure
there is any additional cost in setting up the wildcard, but it is a
product.

What can you do? Contac the company and pay for the wildcard. You will
most likely be told to regenerate the cert and send it in. The
additional cost will most likely be a few hundred extra.

I would also look at Mark's suggestion, although I believe you would not
be able to hit the site if there is no public DNS record, except if you
wildcarded that all from domain.com get shipped to the same address. I
have not tested this assertion, so take it for what it is worth
(educated guess).