    Greg Guest

    I am trying to create a socket with the proxy type of HTTP. Every time thesocket is created an IllegalArgumentException is thrown. I have learned from googling that the HTTP proxy is unsupported in sockets. What is the work around? Does anyone know? Any help would be much appreciated as there doesn't seem to be an answer readily available that I can find.

    Greg

    Greg, Jul 26, 2012

  2. You can set up proxies in the Java Control Panel.

    Knute Johnson, Jul 29, 2012

  3. How much does the code using the Socket depend on its 'interface'?
    Perhaps it would be happy with (say) just getInputStream() and
    getOutputStream() on an already connected Socket. If so, then perhaps
    you can connect to the proxy explicitly, send "CONNECT" yourself, and
    parse the response header. If all goes okay, hand the socket as is over
    to the 'using' code, and it won't know the difference.

    Steven Simpson, Jul 30, 2012
  4. Greg

    Greg Guest

    The code pretty extensively relies on the sockets interface.

    Greg, Aug 9, 2012
  5. Can you define 'pretty extensively', i.e. enumerate the methods which
    are used, and in what sequences? If this is sufficiently simple, and
    you can modify the code, some refactoring to use your own abstraction of
    the socket ought to be possible.

    Steven Simpson, Aug 16, 2012