Images/CSS not resolving on dev machine testing

John Kotuby

I have just upgraded to a new development machine that came with Vista
ultimate.
I am developing a website with VS2005 and VB. My image and css references in
my source code are all relative. For example http://root.com/images/some.gif
in my source is just /images/some.gif. When I publish to the root web on any
IIS server, that works just fine.

On my old XP machine I had registered a custom version of multisite.dll with
a config.ini like this:
[websites]
localhost=/alias

That worked fine. To test the project and have all relative references work
properly on my dev machine I just typed in IE http://localhost instead of
http://localhost/alias and everything worked as if it were published to a
root web and acted exactly like it does when published to a production
server (with a different web.config file of course). But multisite.dll will
not register on Vista.

Note I am developing in C:\development\project folder. When it is set up as
a virtual website I need to type in http://localhost/alias to get it to run.
That is when I lose my images and css styles.

So, what is the correct way to do this?

I have tried editing the hosts file to create an entry like:
localhost/alias alias

Thinking that I can then type in http://alias and get the site to come up.
I have also heard that others have somehow created a domain refererence
(maybe on a network machine... they were not clear) and got the test site to
work.
Note... when I just run debug... my images do not show up either.

Then I thought of creating a <base> element in each page with a variable in
global.asa that I could reference as <base> in my pages and maybe that will
help.

OK... I obiously need some schooling on this matter. I have not had the
luxury of attending VS2005 workshops to get this "small" problem rectified
and have not found an anwer other than using multisite.dll.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..... thanks

If somebody could point me in the right direction it would be very much
appreciated.