    (ImagesRoot in IIS) outside of the web root in my vb asp.net application.
    How should I code the imageurl property to have this working?

    Image1.imageurl = ?

    OK, Mar 29, 2008

  2. OK

    Masudur Guest

    if pictures from fliker can be refered in pages...
    why this can't be done...?

    Its going to work if the folder's is also can be accessed from
    internet.
    in other words web shated folders...
    but again provide full qualified name..

    like http://www.someweb.com/picturefolder...

    Thanks & Best of Luck
    Md. Masudur Rahman
    www.munna.shatkotha.com
    www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog

    Masudur, Mar 30, 2008

  3. OK

    OK Guest

    Hi Masadur,

    I don't think you understood the issue. Imagine the web runs on the location
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWeb while all images are located at D:\images. Of
    course I can't web share the D:\images because ayone would be able to find
    all pictures by the browser url. I know that I must do something with a
    virtual directory within IIS which refers to the D:\images directory. I've
    already configured that but what should I type for this imageurl property?

    regards,

    Oscar

    OK, Mar 30, 2008
  4. OK

    Masudur Guest

    Hi.. if you already made the image directory as a virtual directory...
    let say images folder

    www.johndoe.com/images
    where images is the virtual directory that refers as d:/images...

    your url from pages will be like this...
    image1.imageurl = "~/images/SomeImage.gif"

    hope that helps

    Masudur, Mar 30, 2008
  5. You should make a virtual directory MyImages on your site that will point to
    d:\images. Having done that, you can address images as Image1.imageurl =
    "~/MyImages/image1.jpg"

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, Mar 30, 2008
  6. OK

    OK Guest

    Hi Eliyahu and Masadur,

    I've done that and the image still is not shown within the the browser.

    I've first configued a virtual directory called MyImages in IIS. The
    directory points to the directory D:\Images.
    Within VS2005 I've coded
    Image1.ImageUrl="~/MyImages/picturename.jpg"
    After browsing the page at my development PC, the picture is not shown and a
    red cross in the upper left corner shows me that the image couldn't be
    retrieved. In case I right click at the image properties it shows

    adres(URL) : http://localhost:1089/MyWeb/MyImages/picturename.jpg

    Since it shows th name of the virtual directory after the root location of
    MyWeb, I've tried another setting for the ImageUrl property (without the ~
    character):

    Image1.ImageUrl="/MyImages/picturename.jpg"

    And it's still not working. The browser shows the picture properties as
    adres(URL) : http://localhost:1089/MyImages/picturename.jpg

    Any Idea how I can get this working?

    regards,
    Oscar

    OK, Mar 30, 2008
  7. OK

    OK Guest

    Hi,

    I've found that anything works OK at the web server after that the website
    is published. So my question now is what I need to configure such that I can
    verify the proper working at my design PC. Up to now it looks like that the
    virtual directory doesn't work on the local design PC.

    Oscar

    OK, Mar 30, 2008
  8. I think the problem is in using the asp.net development server. It doesn't
    use IIS and, AFAIK, has no knowledge of virtual directories. If you have
    local IIS, try running on it.

    Eliyahu Goldin, Mar 30, 2008
  9. OK

    OK Guest

    Hi Eliyahu,

    Yes I have a local IIS. How can I get the website running on it?

    Oscar

    OK, Mar 30, 2008
  10. It is a setting in the application properties in VS. Or in the web project
    properties if you are using project files.

    Eliyahu Goldin, Mar 30, 2008