In memory data

Peter Morris

Hi all

Requirements:
01: Access to a small subset of data should be as fast as possible.
02: Access must be synchronised, so only 1 person at a time may modify or
read it.
03: None of this information has any links with my persistent data (Customer
etc).
04: The server will always be a dedicated machine, and only a single server
will be used.
05: The data doesn't need to survive a machine restart, it's just like
shared session data in a way.

I am considering using in-memory data structures because they will be faster
than updating a DB. I am wondering though how likely it is that my ASP.NET
process will be restarted by IIS while people are still using it? Is the
default configuration to run endlessly unless someone deliberately restarts
it, or does it include some other scenarios where the process is restarted
which would result in my classes' static data being lost?

Thanks

bruce barker

your are a lot of reasons for a recycle to occur. idle timeout, file
change in vdir, too much memory use, etc.

you should be able to recreate the data if a recycle happens. back it
with a persistent store and use it as a cache.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)