Incorporating XML feed into web page

KiwiBrian

Can anyone point me to a basic article/tutorial that will tell me what is
involved in incorporating an XML feed into a web page?
I am expecting that it will be beyond my capabilities but would like to find
out what s involved.

TIA
Brian Tozer

Toby Inkster

KiwiBrian said:
Can anyone point me to a basic article/tutorial that will tell me what is
involved in incorporating an XML feed into a web page?

What do you mean by "incorporating"?

Are you going to be feeding your content, or are you going to be
displaying content from someone else's feed?

Assuming the latter, a two step process, and there are two ways of doing
it.

METHOD ONE

1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours. Save it
to some agreed location.
2. When someone visits your site, use server-side processing to inspect
the file at the agreed location, parse its contents and then display the
results to the user.

METHOD TWO

1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours AND
parse the contents into a more usable form (e.g. entries in a database, or
better, a finished segment of HTML that can just be inserted into your
pages)
2. When someone visits your site, you have less work to do than with
method one. Your processor will thank you. Retrieve the already parsed
data and display it.

KiwiBrian

Toby Inkster said:
[...]

Thanks Toby for your helpful reply.