Indian Programmers

jacob navia

Le 24/02/11 13:17, K4 Monk a écrit :
if you hate Indian programmers, post in this thread.

Mmm, I do not hate Indian programmers but I do hate assholes.

They are a REAL nuisance

Paul

If I was Indian I would find this funny.
I find the whole racism thing quite funny unless it becomes abusive.

Note: By replying to this I do not claim to hate Indians or Indian
programmers.I think some of the greatest minds in the world are that of
Indian people.

Go Indians! Get coding in you wigwams.
:)

Rohit Tripathi

If I was Indian I would find this funny.
I find the whole racism thing quite funny unless it becomes abusive.

Note: By replying to this I do not claim to hate Indians or Indian
programmers.I think some of the greatest minds in the world are that of
Indian people.

but consider how many Indians there are. If you have a country of over
one billion people, some of them are deemed to be great minds. The
only problem I have with my fellow Indian programmers is that they are
never truly passionate about programming. Most of them are just in the
business because its the booming industry in India.

James Kanze

but consider how many Indians there are. If you have a country of over
one billion people, some of them are deemed to be great minds. The
only problem I have with my fellow Indian programmers is that they are
never truly passionate about programming. Most of them are just in the
business because its the booming industry in India.

And that's not the case elsewhere? In just about any profession
(some professions in the arts are probably exceptions), anywhere
in the world, things like opportunities and potential income
enter into the choice, at least to some degree.

rep_movsd

It's a very typical reaction - there are a lot of mediocre programmers
in India, but assuming all of them are, is pretty naive.
There are people everywhere, who are in the industry with career as a
primary goal, whereas those of us who are passionate about it, have
been doing it for a major part of our life (I for one, since I was 8),
and will continue doing it until we're senile, whether we're paid for
it or not.

James Kanze

It's a very typical reaction - there are a lot of mediocre programmers
in India, but assuming all of them are, is pretty naive.

Just because someone chose this profession partially for
financial reasons doesn't necessarily mean he's mediocre. And
all of the Indian programmers I've known have been very good
(but then, I've not known as many as I've known French, German
or British programmers).
There are people everywhere, who are in the industry with career as a
primary goal, whereas those of us who are passionate about it, have
been doing it for a major part of our life (I for one, since I was 8),
and will continue doing it until we're senile, whether we're paid for
it or not.

I don't think it's necessarily a binary choice. If I had
a totally free choice about what to do fifty hours a week,
uninfluenced by pecunary constraints, it wouldn't be
programming. But I do like programming as well, and if my
profession were something else, I'd probably do some programming
as a hobby.

Paul

James Kanze said:
Just because someone chose this profession partially for
financial reasons doesn't necessarily mean he's mediocre. And
all of the Indian programmers I've known have been very good
(but then, I've not known as many as I've known French, German
or British programmers).

I don't think it's necessarily a binary choice. If I had
a totally free choice about what to do fifty hours a week,
uninfluenced by pecunary constraints, it wouldn't be
programming. But I do like programming as well, and if my
profession were something else, I'd probably do some programming
as a hobby.
Does this mean if you had been a Java programmer you would dismiss the
official Java documents as unofficial irrellevant nonsense?
As you did in our last debate.

Paul

Paul said:
Does this mean if you had been a Java programmer you would dismiss the
official Java documents as unofficial irrellevant nonsense?
As you did in our last debate.
It's a shame you think you know more about Java than the official Java docs,
I used to think you have some more sense.

Ebenezer

Just because someone chose this profession partially for
financial reasons doesn't necessarily mean he's mediocre.

Agreed, but I'd point out there's a kind of ongoing choosing
of what we are going to do and large numbers of programmers
have sought to pad their accounts by picking the pockets of
companies. Picking the pockets by turning in mediocre work
that is perhaps justified by a sense of entitlement. It
used to be easier to make big bucks as a programmer and
guard your soul from the devil. These days most large and
medium sized companies have immoral policies.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

"All the world is just a narrow bridge - the most important
thing is not to be afraid." Rebbe Nachman

James Kanze

Agreed, but I'd point out there's a kind of ongoing choosing
of what we are going to do and large numbers of programmers
have sought to pad their accounts by picking the pockets of
companies. Picking the pockets by turning in mediocre work
that is perhaps justified by a sense of entitlement. It
used to be easier to make big bucks as a programmer and
guard your soul from the devil. These days most large and
medium sized companies have immoral policies.

I'm not sure that the number is that large, although I have seen
a few. Most of the mediocre work I've seen has been because the
companies wanted it that way; they used a process which
encouraged mediocre work, and in many cases, put impediments in
front of the programmers to prevent them from doing good work.

Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I just had to respond to this thread

It's not so much that I hate Indian programmers or people for that matter, but there are certain things that **** me off when it comes to Indian people.

1)The fact that they do not have much manners, and can be very rude at times.

2) A lot of them can smell quite bad ( can you say shower??)

3) They have a thick accent and yet speak very quickly, and the combination leaves me wondering what they are saying, yet they think they are speaking perfect English. I myself am not a native English speaker, yet try my hardest to speak as clearly as possible and continue to improve my skills.

4)I hate that I have to close my office door on account of them because they are stinking up the place heating their food. As I said before I was not born here, but out of respect for others I do not bring food to the office that could offend others out of courtesy.

5) I hate having to hear the same monotone voice with a heavy accent on every tech conference that I go to.

I am actually thinking about changing career because it just bothers me so much.