Inquiry - Use HTML and CSS to combine cells to form "L" shaped block

Cofa via CofaMail

Hello,

I am new to this group and I hope this problem has not be raised
before. I shall be grateful if any of you could give some help...

I have been trying to combine table cells to form an "L" shape of text
block but have not been successful with existing HTML or CSS
techniques (or I might be just not knowledgeable enough). Let me first
show you a table in text presentation below:

| row1cell1 | row1cell2 | row1cell3 |
| row2cell1 | row2cell2 | row2cell3 |
| row3cell1 | row3cell2 | row3cell3 |

My question: Is it possible to combine, say, "row2cell2", "row3cell2"
and "row3cell3" into an "L" shape block, so that texts can flow and
wrap inside the block area?

Similarly, I also wanted to know if I could combine "row1cell2",
"row1cell3" and "row2cell3".

Thanks for reviewing the questions.

Cofa Tsui
2/27/2010

Cofa via CofaMail

[snipped]
| row1cell1 | row1cell2 | row1cell3 |
| row2cell1 | row2cell2 | row2cell3 |
| row3cell1 | row3cell2 | row3cell3 |
My question: Is it possible to combine, say, "row2cell2", "row3cell2"
and "row3cell3" into an "L" shape block, so that texts can flow and
wrap inside the block area?

No, but you can get that effect with a float. You'd make row2cell3
float: right and put it first thing in a block box set to the width and
height of two of your columns/rows. Then just put the text in the block
after the float.

Thanks Ben for the quick reply. I also thought that that was
impossible but I just wanted to hear that from the expert ^_^

I have since used "float:right" with a "div" block but I have
compromised being unable to achieved other features that I wanted.
(complicated story)

But thanks again for the reply!

Cofa Tsui
2/28/2010