Integrated Authentication, Impersonation, and Web Services

Web Developer

Environment:
OS: Windows 2003
IIS: 6
..Net Framework: 1.1
Authentication Scheme: Windows Integrated Authentication
Impersonation: Enabled

Error Message:
Exception Type: System.Net.WebException
Response: System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Message: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
TargetSite: System.Object[]
ReadResponse(System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientMessage,
System.Net.WebResponse, System.IO.Stream, Boolean)
HelpLink: NULL
Source: System.Web.Services

Scenario:
I have two server environments. One houses ASP.Net web form applications,
the other houses ASP.Net web services. Both use IIS Windows Integrated
Authentication and impersonation. When my web forms make calls to the web
services, they get 401 errors.

I read that NTLM doesn't support delegation, and that Kerberos isn't
automatically enabled with WIA. Do I need to enable Kerberos to get
impersonation to work accross web servers? What's happening to the
credentials of the authenticated user?

Thank you.

Paul Clement

¤
[...]

Unless you are using Basic authentication (w/o SSL) I believe that you need to implement Kerberos
delegation in order to access remote resources.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/authaspdotnet.asp

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)