interactive window vs. script: inconsistent behavior

Bell, Kevin

The following works in the interactive window of PythonWin, but fails in
a script. TypeError: Objects of type 'slice' can not be converted to a
COM VARIANT

I just need to parse out these dates, but it's making me crazy.
Shouldn't it work in both the interactive window and a script?

d = "5-18-05 to 5-31-05"
print d[0:d.find("to")-1] 5-18-05
print d[d.find("to")+3:] 5-31-05

Kev

Duncan Booth

The following works in the interactive window of PythonWin, but fails in
a script. TypeError: Objects of type 'slice' can not be converted to a
COM VARIANT

I just need to parse out these dates, but it's making me crazy.
Shouldn't it work in both the interactive window and a script?

d = "5-18-05 to 5-31-05"
print d[0:d.find("to")-1] 5-18-05
print d[d.find("to")+3:] 5-31-05

Not surprisingly, the above three lines work perfectly well in a script:

d = "5-18-05 to 5-31-05"
print d[0:d.find("to")-1]
print d[d.find("to")+3:]

and the output is:
C:\temp>t.py
5-18-05
5-31-05

Perhaps if you were to post an actual script which doesn't work and the
actual error it generates, it might be possible to help you.

Larry Bates

This also works and IMHO reads better:

d="5-18-05 to 5-31-05"
f,t=d.split(' to '))