intermediate python csv reader/writer question from a beginner

Learning Python

anything related to csv, I usually use VB within excel to manipulate
the data, nonetheless, i finally got the courage to take a dive into
python. i have viewed a lot of googled csv tutorials, but none of
them address everything i need. Nonetheless, I was wondering if
someone can help me manipulate the sample csv (sample.csv) I have
generated:

,,
someinfo,,,,,,,
somotherinfo,,,,,,,
SEQ,Names,Test1,Test2,Date,Time,,
1,Adam,1,2,Monday,1:00 PM,,
2,Bob,3,4,Monday,1:00 PM,,
3,Charlie,5,6,Monday,1:00 PM,,
4,Adam,7,8,Monday,2:00 PM,,
5,Bob,9,10,Monday,2:00 PM,,
6,Charlie,11,12,Monday,2:00 PM,,
7,Adam,13,14,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,
8,Bob,15,16,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,
9,Charlie,17,18,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,

into (newfile.csv):

Adam-Test1,Adam-Test2,Bob-Test1,Bob-Test2,Charlie-Test1,Charlie-
Test2,Date,Time
1,2,3,4,5,6,Monday,1:00 PM
7,8,9,10,11,12,Monday,2:00 PM
13,14,15,16,17,18,Tuesday,1:00 PM

note:
1. the true header doesn't start line 4 (if this is the case would i
have to use "split"?)
2. if there were SEQ#10-12, or 13-15, it would still be Adam, Bob,
Charlie, but with different Test1/Test2/Date/Time

Chris Rebert

anything related to csv, I usually use VB within excel to manipulate
the data, nonetheless, i finally got the courage to take a dive into
python. i have viewed a lot of googled csv tutorials, but none of
them address everything i need. Nonetheless, I was wondering if
someone can help me manipulate the sample csv (sample.csv) I have
generated:

For reading and writing CSV files, see the `csv` module in the
standard library (http://docs.python.org/library/csv.html).

Cheers,
Chris

BiancaFix3