Internet Explorer JavaScript Weirdness

Prisoner at War

You are mistaken. It is a Good Thing of them to place the cursor on top of
the quote because you should add the salutation there, and read the quote
from top to bottom while trimming the parts that you are not replying to and
placing your reply just below the (summarized) parts that you are replying to.

You're assuming that someone would not respond to it as if writing a
(real) letter. This interleaved style of response comes across as
"argumentative" to some, as if nit-picking every little point...which
only underscores my original point: no matter what you do, someone's
going to be annoyed!
Users frequently misunderstand this feature as an invitation to write
everything they are about to write on top of the full quote, with the
recipient of the message having to go into Batman Mode[tm] in order to
understand it.

Are there any usability studies on this, I wonder? I find it hard to
imagine that everyone opens up a post, each and every time, reading
from top to bottom, instead of simply looking for the "current
message" of that particular post. Since the quoted stuff is mere
background material, it seems quite natural that it should be
relegated towards "the back" -- or, visually on usenet, the bottom.
Besides, NetNews is not e-mail.

I understand it as an instance of "conversation," and I don't think
the message is lost simply because it's top-posted or in Times Roman
courrier or sent via dejanews or a dedicated newsreader.

Kevin Scholl

Yeah, but so do blogs and e-mail.

Blogs are typically one-off, singular statements by the author, not
ongoing discussions (reader comments notwithstanding). Hence it makes
more sense to present the most recent first, in the most available
position. IF the reader wishes to view other blog posts, s/he can then
do so at their leisure.

An e-mail chain, because it is addressed to a select audience, can be
assumed to have been read form the beginning by those receiving it.
Hence a top-post in e-mail is a natural continuation for anyone
involved, as they probably know the contents below.

Usenet is quite different from both of those, in that it consists of
ongoing interactive discussion between any number of people, those
people entering the conversation at any point of the thread. Thus, top-
posting destroys the logical order of discussion, making a newcomer to
the thread have to scroll much more to catch up.

Prisoner at War

Honestly, I think this whole business is nothing more than the ol'
toilet paper non-debate -- over or under. 'Cause you know what: it
really doesn't harm anyone either way. Is the cup half full or half
empty? However you characterize it, you can still drink that water,
etc.

(Also posted at bottom for those who insist on it.)

[...]

toilet paper debate -- over or under. And you know what: it really
doesn't harm anyone either way. Is the cup half full or half empty?
However you characterize it, you can still drink that water, etc.

(Also posted on bottom for those who insist on it.)

Kevin Scholl

Honestly, I think this whole business is nothing more than the ol'
toilet paper debate -- over or under. And you know what: it really
doesn't harm anyone either way. Is the cup half full or half empty?
However you characterize it, you can still drink that water, etc.

That may be in and of itself true. However, if bottom posting is the
clearly-defined preference of THIS group and as you say "doesn't harm
anyone", then why not exercise some common courtesy and adhere to that
methodology?

Michael Wojcik

Prisoner said:
Yeah, but so do blogs and e-mail.

Many people use inline quoting in email, so that statement often isn't
true. Nor is it relevant.

Usenet existed long before blogs, and may well predate the first MUA
that used top-quoting by default. mailx used an external editor, so it
didn't define a quoting behavior per se, but the ~m command formatted
quoted text for inline quotation (ie, indented with a configurable
prefix). VMS Mail's "reply/extract" just copied the original text into
the new message unchanged; quoting style was left to the user. VM/CMS
MAIL favored inline quoting with REPLY TEXT - it copied the message
text into the editor, and suggested you insert lines for you reply
into the quoted text using PF2.

There seems to be a widespread belief that Microsoft Outhouse
popularized top-quoting. It's a very late arrival to this party.

Certainly, top-quoting was rare on Usenet prior to AOL and Eternal
September.
LOL! And I'd thought usenet was the pits! =)

You're free to go elsewhere.
I see "blog," "usenet," "texting," and "world wide web" as instances
of "informal conversation"

Gosh, that's insightful. No one has ever made *that* particular
sweeping generalization before. Spoken conversation is usually
informal, too. When you quote someone while you're speaking, do you
say your piece first, and then quote them at the end?

It is just possible that the differences between, say, Usenet and
blogging are significant. Hell, *I* noted some differences in
discourse conventions between email lists and Usenet in an article in
_Works and Days_ some thirteen years ago, and plenty of people were
there before me.

(And calling "world wide web" an "instance of 'informal conversation'"
is not just wildly reductive but a category error. The Web is an
information access method, not a mode of expression.)
...I just don't see the point of MLA/Boswell-
style rules of publication/debate in this medium...I can't believe I'm
the only one who thinks this way....

You're not. There's no shortage of newbies who refuse to learn good
manners.
Well, usenet was started up by academics, I guess,

That's debatable. Truscott and Ellis were graduate students when they
created Usenet, and most of the initial users were either academics or
researchers, but it quickly grew outside that community. Cleveland
Freenet made it generally accessible in 1986, for example. And even
among the early users, few were stereotypical academics in the sense
you mean.
so no surprise that
it was so insistent on MLA rules of publication

OK, cite *anything* from the _MLA Handbook_ that applies to this
discussion. Pick an edition - I think I have most of them.
but come on, this isn't a scientific journal we're creating;
it's just passing notes....

Yes. And the people whom you're asking to read your notes have
conventions that they follow, so it would behoove you to follow them.

Once upon a time, students were required to study a modicum of
rhetoric, including how to appeal to their audience. Would that it
were still so.
I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I cannot follow rules I don't
believe in (I'm just that kind of person).

Fine. No one here needs to read or respond to your postings, either.
I'll be happy to ignore anything else you post that's not properly quoted.
To me, it's not like you or someone else suddenly can't parse my words
or your computer shuts down or something if I had top-posted.

We can. We don't want to. See the difference?

Joost Diepenmaat

Prisoner at War said:
Honestly, I think this whole business is nothing more than the ol'
toilet paper non-debate -- over or under. 'Cause you know what: it
really doesn't harm anyone either way. Is the cup half full or half
empty? However you characterize it, you can still drink that water,
etc.

It isn't. It really *is* harder to parse a top-posted reply, because it
makes the context harder to find. Top-posting because you don't know any
better is excusable. Top-posting because you don't care about context
just makes you look lazy and uninterested in actually participating in a
civilized discussion; in other words, it's rude.

Gregor Kofler

Prisoner at War meinte:
Honestly, I think this whole business is nothing more than the ol'
toilet paper non-debate -- over or under. 'Cause you know what: it
really doesn't harm anyone either way.

It does. Anyway, if you want people to help you with your problem, you
should follow their suggestions and advices, do them the asked favour.

The way you act, won't help you with your problem, and make you look
like a moron. But you probably don't care about that either.

Gregor

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <c9f7e60d-91a8-4890-82ed-3710c3563a12@x4
1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:23:47, Prisoner at War
I really appreciate your help, but I have a philosophical disagreement
with the notion that a public forum requires its own "law library" and
"legal procedures"....

Arriving and arguing with accepted convention is juvenile, and leads to
the probability of your actual questions being ignored by the more
sensible experts, and yourself ranted at by the All-Höchster.

Prisoner at War

Arriving and arguing with accepted convention is juvenile, and leads to
the probability of your actual questions being ignored by the more
sensible experts, and yourself ranted at by the All-Höchster.

I don't know why expressing oneself should be "arguing" to others --
nor, I maintain, why a *public* place belonging to no one should have
rules against things which harms no one -- but wer ist der All-
Höchster when he's at home???

Prisoner at War

That may be in and of itself true. However, if bottom posting is the
clearly-defined preference of THIS group and as you say "doesn't harm
anyone", then why not exercise some common courtesy and adhere to that
methodology?

Sure thing; I often bottom-post, too, because it really is all the
same to me and I do one or the other without thinking about it,
actually...but this "tyranny of the majority" over what is a non-issue
is something which I find more harmful than bottom-posting. I'd be
against such "rules" even if it were the other way around, if somehow
the majority decided that top-posting is what *should* be the case.

Again, toilet paper over or under...I really can't see "legislating"
such a thing, whether by law or mere public opinion!

Prisoner at War

It isn't. It really *is* harder to parse a top-posted reply, because it
makes the context harder to find. Top-posting because you don't know any
better is excusable. Top-posting because you don't care about context
just makes you look lazy and uninterested in actually participating in a
civilized discussion; in other words, it's rude.

I guess I'm just too much of a New Yorker for usenet, then! ;-) We
just cross the street if we see it's safe to do so -- no need to wait
on a traffic light!

It's not hard for me to back-track the thread of a conversation in
reverse-order, so I'm really surprised others truly find it that
inconvenient. But okay; I see I'm among some serious hard-core
"Dungeon Masters" here who are very strict about rules! I still don't
really get the psychology of insisting on only one way of doing things
when it comes to what seems to be a non-issue, but I can certainly
respect that most people want bottom and interleaved posting.

Prisoner at War

It does. Anyway, if you want people to help you with your problem, you
should follow their suggestions and advices, do them the asked favour.

I really hope we as a species will one day get beyond "political
pandering"...it makes for a lot of dishonesty and cynicism in society.
The way you act, won't help you with your problem, and make you look
like a moron. But you probably don't care about that either.

Why do people spend so much time worrying about not looking like a
moron? Honestly, rules are for children. But okay, if we must treat
each other like little JavaScript codes and little JavaScript
interpreters that get thrown off-course by top-posting, all right,
I'll adopt your usenet "semantics"....

Joost Diepenmaat

Prisoner at War said:
I don't know why expressing oneself should be "arguing" to others --
nor, I maintain, why a *public* place belonging to no one should have
rules against things which harms no one -- but wer ist der All-
Höchster when he's at home???

You *are* arguing against a convention that has been established for
decades, long before this newsgroup and its topic existed. In itself
that's fine, but people here like to be on topic. In other words, take
it to whatever newsgroup is about these kind of discussions. As mr
Stockton noted, deliberately frustrating the general mechanisms of
debate on this group is juveline. It's also harmful in that now
everybody is spending time explaining how juvenile you are behaving (or
at least reading the off-topic posts about this stupid discussion) while
they could have been discussing / reading about the topic of this
group. Or having sex / a nice meal / whatever.

Cheers,
J.

Prisoner at War

[...]

What are y'all, women?? This is how women act -- and then they
complain how guys are always lying to them just to get into their
skirts!

I'm not here to argue about this non-issue, though I've never
discussed this with programmer-types and that's why I've asked you all
your opinions...well, this is my last post in this thread on this,
'cause like everything else about human beings, it's got nothing to do
with logic and reason and everything to do with one's ego (see
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/opinion/17kristof.html for some
proof of what research studies have found time and time again: people
do not arrive at beliefs through a process of logical deduction).

To me, it seems like a short little response just looks and "feels"
better on top of a big long post, which is why I'd usually be inclined
to put it on top. But since you are so touchy about it, sure, Happy
Birthday, here's my reply on the bottom. And it's so short because I
can see that this is an emotional issue for you all and I don't want
to further offend anyone over this non-issue.

Evertjan.

Prisoner at War wrote on 19 apr 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
Sure thing; I often bottom-post, too,

You make the commmon mistake of thinking
that not-topposting means bottomposting.

No, the accepted way on usenet is scarce interposting,
where the responses immediately follow the sections responded upon.

===== topposting ========
Answer: It destroys the order of the conversation.
Question: Why?
Answer: Top-Posting.

==== bottonmposting =====
Question: Why?
Answer: Top-Posting.
Answer: It destroys the order of the conversation.

==== interposting =======
Answer: Top-Posting.
Question: Why?
Answer: It destroys the order of the conversation.
because it really is all the
same to me and I do one or the other without thinking about it,
actually...but this "tyranny of the majority" over what is a non-issue
is something which I find more harmful than bottom-posting.

Your "tyrannical majority" never advocated bottomposting.
I'd be
against such "rules" even if it were the other way around, if somehow
the majority decided that top-posting is what *should* be the case.

Common decency suggest you follow the wize and proven way of usenet,
and try not to be offended by the repeated "please" sentences.

Perhaps this is a reaction to some juvenile trauma,
that you equal "please" and logic with "tyranny"?

Why would persistent topposting against advice be be your prerogative
more than persisting in polite asking not to, the latter being
accompanied by logical reasoning the prerogative of others?

No, you have no more right to ask not to be bothered than "we" have the
right to point you your erring ways.

In the end however, you are worse off, when your postings are no longer
considered in this NG.

Then you will be a prisoner of your own war.

Joost Diepenmaat

Prisoner at War said:
But okay; I see I'm among some serious hard-core "Dungeon Masters"
here who are very strict about rules! I still don't really get the
psychology of insisting on only one way of doing things when it comes
to what seems to be a non-issue, but I can certainly respect that most
people want bottom and interleaved posting.

Note that the rules (conventions, realy) are just technicalities about
the format of debates / threads. They say nothing about how to behave or
what to say (besides staying more or less on topic). This is just to
make sure that the debates themselves are easy to follow. In other
words, it's just about not needlessly wasting people's time; they're
already spending their time reading the post at all.

Also, some of the people here *are* strict nit-pickers, but they also
tend to have a fairly high grasp of the topic, so don't piss them off
needlessly if you want to have useful answers to your questions :)

Anyway, thanks for bending to peer-pressure, I guess :)

Joost.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <f730a795-68d9-4ef2-ac39-55710e95d186@c6
5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:49:26, Prisoner at War
I don't know why expressing oneself should be "arguing" to others --
nor, I maintain, why a *public* place belonging to no one should have
rules against things which harms no one -- but wer ist der All-
Höchster when he's at home???

Good manners calls for reading for a while before writing. Had you done
so effectively, you would not have needed to ask about Grumpy. Had you
done so, you would have seen and read the newsgroup FAQ, in which the
desire for compliance with accepted convention is indicated. And you
would have known not to quote signatures.

And if you were to use properly-designed newsreader software, you would
have the opportunity of seeing why top-posting is bad.

Grow up, use your own name, get some respectable software, let your
present reputation be forgotten, and you may then reasonably hope for
favourable attention.

Munged

Hi

This is my first post on this news group and it's a shame it should be
on this off topic subject. No doubt it will earn me Elvish wrath.

On Apr 18, 3:39 pm, Gregor Kofler <[email protected]> wrote:
I really hope we as a species will one day get beyond "political
pandering"...it makes for a lot of dishonesty and cynicism in society.

With respect, it's not anything of the sort. If you join any group of
people from the outside (extending a real world analogy) it is
sensible and minimally polite to take the time to learn the way the
group functions and conform to that. Telling a group of people in
effect "you're a load of stuck up bullies" may be true, but it isn't
going to get you well received, and if you're after help, it's a
matter of enlightened self interest to listen to advice you've been
given. When you're an accepted part of the group you could well
suggest that the virtues of top, bottom and interspersed answering be
debated.
Why do people spend so much time worrying about not looking like a
moron? Honestly, rules are for children.

Tsk. No they aren't. Polite behaviour is the oil in the machinery of
social interraction. Even Heinlein knew that. If you behaved exactly
as you wished face to face with other people, without regard to their
likes and dislikes or the mores of the group, you would stand a very
good chance of getting a poke in the nose. Here, you'll be spared
that, but I guess you'll also be spared the help you might have got.

That said, I've rarely seen a group of more stuck up self satisfied
arrogant prigs in one place. I first subscribed a fortnight ago to
this newsgroup in the hope of getting help. Having read the level of
"help" I might get, I decided to abandon any attempt. I don't want to
be insulted, condescended to or treated like all kinds of a moron,
simply because I don't HAPPEN to understand Javascript as well as they
do. It doesn't make me dumb, lazy or stupid, merely ignorant, and
being treated as some retarded imbecile doesn't cure my ignorance.