Print without displaying print dialog (Internet explorer)

henning

Hello, I'm involved in the development of a set of web pages that are
meant to be used on touch screens.

We use ordinary HTML, PHP and javascript for the pages. I wold prefer a
serverside solution, but we also have access to the clients so if it's
not possible a clientside solution would be acceptable. All clients use
Internet explorer (version may vary, but probably 6 or 7).

What I would like to accomplish is a <button> to print the page, but
without showing the ordinary dialog for printing as this is ill suited
for a touchscreen.

Is this possible? If not with javascript feel free to suggest other
groups I should try to post this to.

Changing the print dialog somehow or just make it print automagicly
without displaying it would both be acceptable solutions.

Vince Morgan

henning said:
Hello, I'm involved in the development of a set of web pages that are
meant to be used on touch screens.

We use ordinary HTML, PHP and javascript for the pages. I wold prefer a
serverside solution, but we also have access to the clients so if it's
not possible a clientside solution would be acceptable. All clients use
Internet explorer (version may vary, but probably 6 or 7).

What I would like to accomplish is a <button> to print the page, but
without showing the ordinary dialog for printing as this is ill suited
for a touchscreen.

Is this possible? If not with javascript feel free to suggest other
groups I should try to post this to.

Changing the print dialog somehow or just make it print automagicly
without displaying it would both be acceptable solutions.

If you are going to target IE exclusively, and the environment is setup to
allow it, you could use an activex control.
From within the control you can use the API to your hearts content. You
would have almost as much control over the printing method as any Windows
application can.
Just a thought,
Vince Morgan