Intro myself & asking for help

blar

Hi, my name's Lisa, and posting in the ng because I'm in a bit of a dilemma

I'm new to making graphics and websites, and recently made my first site
completely from scratch. I was delighted to find everything worked perfectly
except one thing.

On my homepage I have an image that has one iframe in the corner which has
javascript pop up links to different sections which open in new windows.
Anyway, I have three pages which I wanted to be able to open into that
iframe by clicking on the background image. To do so, I opened up frontpage
(because I didn't know that code, although I worked everything else out) and
created three boxes from the drawing toolbar, over my three links. I made
them transparent and hyperlinked them to the three pages. Saved, exited
frontpage, tested it and it worked wonderfully.

Happy with myself that I had got everything working perfectly and with no
errors, I uploaded the whole lot to my server. When I opened up my website,
everything worked perfectly, just like it had on my computer, except for
those three links. When any of them is clicked, makes the iframe go a blank
white page with nothing on it. I have double checked, triple checked that
the code is correct and that all pages, files & .css are uploaded to the
correct folders. Everything is correct, it works from my computer, but not
from my server.

If anybody could look at the code or check out the site and help me in
anyway, I would appreciate it so much, I worked for a long time on this
website and would love to see it fully functional. The link is in my
signature.

TIA,

Spartanicus

blar said:
I'm new to making graphics and websites, and recently made my first site
completely from scratch. I was delighted to find everything worked perfectly
except one thing.

On my homepage I have an image that has one iframe in the corner which has
javascript pop up links to different sections which open in new windows.

I assume that you didn't create your site for you to look at, therefore
whether or not "everything works perfectly" should be viewed from a
client perspective. And from that perspective we can already establish
that your site is broken. Some glaring errors:

1) Iframes: don't use them, they cause serious problems
2) Javascript links: js is optional, without it your site should still
be 100% functional.
3) Opening new windows: don't, leave that to users, opening new windows
confuses users and breaks the back function.
If anybody could look at the code or check out the site and help me in
anyway, I would appreciate it so much, I worked for a long time on this
website and would love to see it fully functional. The link is in my
signature.

OMG, I feel physically sick after looking at the "code", horrible gunk
produced by some MS program. Seriously: delete this junk, learn about
web coding and start again.

Excuse me while I go and clear out my browser's cache, I feel violated
after looking at that gunk.

Btw, you sig also needs fixing, one dash dash space ("-- ") sig
delimiter please, and no more than 4 lines.

SpaceGirl

Spartanicus said:
I assume that you didn't create your site for you to look at, therefore
whether or not "everything works perfectly" should be viewed from a
client perspective. And from that perspective we can already establish
that your site is broken. Some glaring errors:

1) Iframes: don't use them, they cause serious problems

Not if handled withe care.
2) Javascript links: js is optional, without it your site should still
be 100% functional.

I second that... brrr.
3) Opening new windows: don't, leave that to users, opening new windows
confuses users and breaks the back function.

Depends - if the window opening is driven from a script, then dont do
it. If it's opened from a hyperlink, then it's quite reasonable. The
user clicked the link so they DID open.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

blar

Spartanicus said:
Excuse me while I go and clear out my browser's cache, I feel violated
after looking at that gunk.

Thanks for sharing your opinion with me (as everyone is entitled to one) in
regards to my use of javascript, iframes and MSF, however I wasn't asking
you to pick faults. As I clearly stated, this is my first attempt and I was
asking for help in regards to why a link was not working, not about
javascript or the way I have chosen to lay out my website.

Thank you anyway, but do you actually have a suggestion about why the link
does not work?

--
(`'..¸(`'..¸*¤*¸..'´)¸..'´)
«´¨`..¤* lisa *¤..´¨`»

Per Jessen

Spartanicus said:
Btw, you sig also needs fixing, one dash dash space ("-- ") sig
delimiter please, and no more than 4 lines.

Is this a standard? Obviously I'm using it, but I've tried finding the RFC or
some other document describing this as a standard. Even if just a defacto
standard.

thanks,
Per

steven

Per Jessen said:
Is this a standard? Obviously I'm using it, but I've tried finding the RFC or
some other document describing this as a standard. Even if just a defacto
standard.

dash dash space is standard.
no more than 4 lines is common sense.

rf

blar said:
Thanks for sharing your opinion with me (as everyone is entitled to one) in
regards to my use of javascript, iframes and MSF, however I wasn't asking
you to pick faults. As I clearly stated, this is my first attempt and I was
asking for help in regards to why a link was not working, not about
javascript or the way I have chosen to lay out my website.

Don't get all hissy ;-)
Thank you anyway, but do you actually have a suggestion about why the link
does not work?

What links? I see some text links that sort of work and I see, or rather I
don't see something else that may be a link because it causes my status bar
to change. I don't however see any links that exhibit the behaviour you
report.

Perhaps a screenshot of it not working?

blar

rf said:
Don't get all hissy ;-)

What links? I see some text links that sort of work and I see, or rather I
don't see something else that may be a link because it causes my status
bar
to change. I don't however see any links that exhibit the behaviour you
report.

Perhaps a screenshot of it not working?

The links I am having a problem with are the three pieces of text displayed
vertically against the content box: currently, playlist and dailys.

Lisa

Steve Pugh

I'm new to making graphics and websites, and recently made my first site
completely from scratch. I was delighted to find everything worked perfectly
except one thing.

[http://www.moonlight-nightmares.com/missindependent]

Sorry to break it to you but very little on your site works at all.
You need to test your site in a wide range of browsers and at a wide
range of window sizes. You also need to test with images on/off; with
JavaScript on/off; with different default font sizes; etc., etc.

Your site crashed IE6. Twice.

In Opera 7.54 and Firefox 1.0 the iframe doesn't line up over the part
of the background image where I guess it's meant to line up.
On my homepage I have an image that has one iframe in the corner which has
javascript pop up links to different sections which open in new windows.

What happens if your visitors don't have JavaScript? Or have popup
windows blocked?
Anyway, I have three pages which I wanted to be able to open into that
iframe by clicking on the background image. To do so, I opened up frontpage
(because I didn't know that code, although I worked everything else out) and
created three boxes from the drawing toolbar, over my three links. I made
them transparent and hyperlinked them to the three pages.

Oh dear. All that rather than solving the real problem. Backgrounds
are purely decorative. You have to assume that anything in the
background will not be seen by some users. So any links must be part
of the page content. At the moment you have a bunch of links that have
no content other transparent gifs with no alt texts. These links may
or may not line up with part of your background image.
Saved, exited frontpage, tested it and it worked wonderfully.

Obviously not tested well enough.

Delete what you've done. Start again. Really.

Your HTML and CSS is a mess. (Why do you have a bunch of HTML in your
CSS file?)

Your links work fine in Opera and Firefox (they're in the wrong place
as described above but they work fine). In IE they produce the white
box and then a crash. So that part of the problem is probably due to
some of the IE specific code your code is littered with. Forget all
that code. Learn HTML and CSS from scratch and use them properly.

Steve

rf

blar said:
The links I am having a problem with are the three pieces of text displayed
vertically against the content box: currently, playlist and dailys.

They are the ones I am talking about. They are *not* links. The cursor does
not change to a hand. There is no activity in the status bar. However, I see
that to the right of those "links" there is an area where the cursor does
change, to a +, not a hand (this is hardly indicative of a link).

I assume you have a textarea in there or something. Well, you have got it
wrong. The "links" do not line up with the image.

In any case, clicking on where the links actually are (by the status bar)
they do work for me (firefox). What browser are you using? Guesses IE6...

Ah Ha! Sprung :)

Yes, I see a white box when I click on those links, which still aren't links
because you have hijackted my status bar for your own purposes, and the now
hand cursor still does not line up with the image.

<checks code/>

Oh my. Hmmm. I agree with Spartanicus. As a learning exercise you have now
learned several mistakes, ones you will not make again.

Now, throw it all away and start again, by hand, using a standard text
editor and not one of those dreadfull HTML generators, I surmize one of the
Microsoft Office family of products, since I see an <!--[if !mso]> in there.
These things are not, repeat not, web friendly objects, they produce crap
code which none of us will even look at, let alone help you to correct.
Sorry about being harsh but that is just the way it is:)

This time keep the KISS principle firmly in mind. Do not use gratuitous
javascript, use standard links. Do not hijack my status bar. Do not hijack
my scroll bars (I HATE lime green scroll bars). Put on the page only what
you think your viewer will benefit from. Report back as you go and we will
give you assistance. Not code, assistance and direction.

This exercise will also allow you to produce something that will work more
or less the same across different browsers (it didn't work at all the way
you wanted it to in firefox).

See you soon :)

Neal

blar:
"Spartanicus"

Thanks for sharing your opinion with me (as everyone is entitled to one)
in
regards to my use of javascript, iframes and MSF,

No no no.

This is NOT a critique of YOU. It is a critique of your code.

You, lacking any evidence to the contrary, are a wonderful person, a
loving daughter, a hard worker and an inquisitive learner.

Your code, on the other hand, is atrocious.

Biggest mistake people make - even bigger than the most common code errors
- is to misinterpret the comments on their code to be comments on
themselves. Try to distance yourself from the product.

Karl Core

blar said:
Hi, my name's Lisa, and posting in the ng because I'm in a bit of a
dilemma ...

I'm new to making graphics and websites, and recently made my first site
completely from scratch. I was delighted to find everything worked
perfectly except one thing.

On my homepage I have an image that has one iframe in the corner which has
javascript pop up links to different sections which open in new windows.

Stop right there and start over. It doesn't matter what you think the
problem is, the real problem is that you're using i-frames and popup
windows.