ioctl on socket

jacopo mondi

Is there a reason why there is no ioctl interface for socket either then
for windows platform? It's technical issues or what else??

thank in advance
jacopo

Gabriel Genellina

Is there a reason why there is no ioctl interface for socket either then
for windows platform? It's technical issues or what else??

I don't completely understand your question. On Windows, you can use
socket.ioctl with sockets, and DeviceIoControl (from the pywin32 package)
with other files. On Linux, you have fcntl.ioctl that works with any kind
of file.

jacopo mondi

Gabriel said:
I don't completely understand your question. On Windows, you can use
socket.ioctl with sockets, and DeviceIoControl (from the pywin32 package)
with other files. On Linux, you have fcntl.ioctl that works with any kind
of file.
Ok, thanks a lot, my question was because I didn't know about
fcntl.ioct, I thought that ioctl wrapping was implemented inside
socketmodule.c as 'bind', 'connect', 'accept' etc. are, and I was
disoriented because no documentation for socket usage on Linux nor the
code have references about ioctl, except for windows.

I hope the reason why you didn't completely understood my question is
not my english, if it be so I'm sorry and I ask anyone to correct me,
it's the only way to improve ;)

thanks a lot
jacopo

Gabriel Genellina

Ok, thanks a lot, my question was because I didn't know about
fcntl.ioct, I thought that ioctl wrapping was implemented inside
socketmodule.c as 'bind', 'connect', 'accept' etc. are, and I was
disoriented because no documentation for socket usage on Linux nor the
code have references about ioctl, except for windows.

I see; socket.ioctl should menction fcntl.ioctl; I'll submit a
documentation patch.