    become an indispensible tool in my toolbox. I cannot say enough great
    things about it.

    Jeremy Jones

    Jeremy Jones, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Jeremy Jones

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Jeremy> feedback is welcome. Regardless of what you may think of
    Jeremy> the article, I hope it encourages everyone to at least try
    Jeremy> out IPython. IPython has become an indispensible tool in
    Jeremy> my toolbox. I cannot say enough great things about it.

    I've said this before, but I'd just like to add that IPython (with the
    pysh profile) makes a damn fine command prompt for Windows. The loss
    of job control is not a problem there, because it never was there in
    the first place.

    Even if you never use the underlying Python functionality, you can
    enjoy the Bash-like filename completion (the only way to fly - the
    windows "4dos-style" completion doesn't cut it for me). I've never
    really trusted Bash (from cygwin) in Windows, it has always felt very
    alien. Just install ipython and the "unxutils" package, and windows
    command prompt suddenly becomes usable.

    What is essential for me (because I deal with complex source trees) is
    the persistent "bookmark functionality" for directories (yes,
    Fernando, this is a shameless plug ;-):

    Lines starting w/ @POR078 are commands typed by the user.

    ------- ipython session -------------

    @POR078[prj]|22> %bookmark?

    Manage IPython's bookmark system.

    %bookmark <name> - set bookmark to current dir
    %bookmark -l - list all bookmarks
    %bookmark -d <name> - remove bookmark
    %bookmark -r - remove all bookmarks

    You can later on access a bookmarked folder with:
    %cd -b <name>
    or simply '%cd <name>' if there is no directory called <name> AND
    there is such a bookmark defined.

    Your bookmarks persist through IPython sessions, but they are
    associated with each profile.

    @POR078[testrunner]|24> %bookmark tr
    @POR078[testrunner]|25> cd /prj/SyncML/doc/
    @POR078[doc]|26> %bookmark smldoc