Is it illegal for folks to copy my web site for their own websites?

John D.

I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
own?

Thanks,
John D.

Excues the typoes

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

John said:
I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
own?

Thanks,
John D.

well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
them.

That doesnt mean that if you put "<a href="index.html">" you can sue
anyone you want who uses that, it would have to be an entire page that's
copied I think.

but to answer the direct question, if you put it on the Internet, there
is no way to stop someone from copying and pasting all your forumlas,
articles, and research to their own page and calling it their own.

Hywel Jenkins

Weyoun the said:
well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
them.

That won't indicate protection of the content, though.

Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
copyright notice.

To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
countries, to prevent others from stealing your work. If you're
determined to make it difficult for people to steal, produce it as a
protected PDF.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

That won't indicate protection of the content, though.

Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
copyright notice.

No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.

As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
solve the content problem.

Hywel Jenkins

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.

As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
solve the content problem.

What, exactly, is "proprietary HTML"? To reiterate my point, the
copyright notice is unnecessary - for content and structure.

nice.guy.nige

To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
countries, to prevent others from stealing your work.

You could always make a deal with the mafia... could work! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Whitecrest

john- said:
I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
own?

Yes, a copyright, and a good lawyer does that.

Richard

John D. said:
I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
own?

Thanks,
John D.

Learn about copyright and plagerism.
Depending on how much you pay, you can acquire more protection for your
original work.
Strongly suggest you seek out a copyright attorney and get his advice.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Hywel said:
What, exactly, is "proprietary HTML"? To reiterate my point, the
copyright notice is unnecessary - for content and structure.

I dunno, I couldn't think of the correct word.

The structure. Or something. IT's hard to explain but I know wha tI mean :D

Marc Nadeau

John D. a schtroumphé:
I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been
working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of
stuff. I'm wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from
copying and pasting all my formulas, articles, and research to
their own page and calling it their own?

Thanks,
John D.
Excues the typoes

It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.

I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.

If the pages were of an important value (i mean $$$) i would
sue; but their exact worth would be hard to prove, so that is
something that one must sometimes endure.

I try to think about that like something flattering.
My work is plagiarized, so it must be good. :-(

When i got the time and money for a trip abroad this guy will
have a kick in the ass from me. That's all i can do and it will
be a real satisfaction.

Whitecrest

It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.

Can you show us the url of the pages that were so valuable that someone
stole them? (I am just interested in seeing what someone thought they
could not do themselves)
I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.

Depends on what and why, but you are right on the expensive. Especially
if you lose because then (again depending on local laws) you have to pay
his legal fees and he can sue you for a frivolous law suit.

david m wicker

It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.

I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.

If the pages were of an important value (i mean $$$) i would
sue; but their exact worth would be hard to prove, so that is
something that one must sometimes endure.

I try to think about that like something flattering.
My work is plagiarized, so it must be good. :-(

When i got the time and money for a trip abroad this guy will
have a kick in the ass from me. That's all i can do and it will
be a real satisfaction.

I thought one of the usual responses to this was to inform this guy's
isp, who might/should take penal action

Regards

David M Wicker
www.atf-uk.co.uk