Is it possible to run a perl script in a machine where Active perl is not installed.

hara

Is there any way by which i can run perl script in any machine without
installing active perl
in that machine.

I am asking this because Autoit script can be used to run in any
machine without installing autoit in that machine.(Ofcourse this is
possible because its using the functions of Windows only.

David Squire

hara said:
Is there any way by which i can run perl script in any machine without
installing active perl
in that machine.

Answers:

1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
ActivePerl distribution.
2. If you are on a MS Windows platform you certainly need a Perl
interpreter, but that can be bundled with your program into a single
..exe for distribution to machines that don't have Perl installed. See
for example
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/more_information.plex

DS

John Bokma

David Squire said:
Answers:

1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
ActivePerl distribution.

Wrong:
"ActivePerl

Free, quality-assured and ready-to-install Perl distribution for AIX, HP-
UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."
<http://activestate.com/Perl.plex?hdr=1>

Notice that Windows is the only not-UNIXish OS in that list of 5 :)
Also, the source is available AFAIK, so compiling might be possible on
other UNIXish OSes, especially since it has already been done for several.
2. If you are on a MS Windows platform you certainly need a Perl
interpreter, but that can be bundled with your program into a single
.exe for distribution to machines that don't have Perl installed. See
for example
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/more_information.plex

Or PAR: http://par.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

David Squire

John said:
Wrong:
"ActivePerl

Free, quality-assured and ready-to-install Perl distribution for AIX, HP-
UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."
<http://activestate.com/Perl.plex?hdr=1>

I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.

Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
"usually". I persoally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
ActivePerl, since Perl is very frequently part of the base distribution,
and if not is easily installed using RPMs, Debian packages, etc. or
(perhaps a little less easily) from source. Still, I guess they are out
there.

DS

John Bokma

David Squire said:
I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.

No, no, no; no excuses now :-D
Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
"usually".

So you think ActiveState just makes 5 additional versions just for fun?
I persoally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
ActivePerl, since Perl is very frequently part of the base
distribution,

Sometimes those versions are outdated. I recall I had to install Perl on
IRIX, since the version that came with it was quite outdated.
and if not is easily installed using RPMs, Debian
packages, etc. or (perhaps a little less easily) from source. Still, I
guess they are out there.

I am sure they are :-D.

Peter Scott

I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.

Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
"usually". I personally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
ActivePerl,

I once had to deal with a crippled hosting service running an outdated
perl and no C compiler. ActiveState Perl for Linux saved the day.