Is python.org blocking traffic from the ibm.com domain?

scott.h.snyder

Hello all,

I work at IBM and was discussing with a fellow developer how to access
packages from the cheeseshop that might be useful for a project he is
working on.
He found that he could not connect to the cheeseshop
(chesseshop.python.org) from inside IBM but could connect from home.
I confirmed that this was true for me as well and tried other sites
within python.org such as wiki.python.org and www.python.org/pypi and
found that while requests get sent from inside IBM they never get a
reply from the server.

The main site www.python.org seems to work fine www.python.org
[82.94.237.218] but requests going to ximinez.python.org
[82.94.237.219] do not get replies.

IBM internal network security confirms that they are not blocking
access to these sites, so we are guessing that the websites themselves
are choosing not to respond, perhaps thinking that the volume of
traffic from the ibm.com domain is spam or DOS attack.

Can someone responsible for maintaining the website please check what
is happening and help me (and the rest of the IBM community) get back
into the python website ?

Thanks for your attention and if there is anything that we (IBM) needs
to do to help resolve this issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

Martin v. Löwis

IBM internal network security confirms that they are not blocking
access to these sites, so we are guessing that the websites themselves
are choosing not to respond, perhaps thinking that the volume of
traffic from the ibm.com domain is spam or DOS attack.

Can someone responsible for maintaining the website please check what
is happening and help me (and the rest of the IBM community) get back
into the python website ?

Please contact me with details of the client machine trying to access
PyPI. We do block selected clients if they are accessing the
site in an excessive manner, but we don't (currently) block entire networks.

It's not normally the fear of Spam or a DOS that causes such blocking,
but just regular overloading, typically from a machine that fails to
honor robots.txt.

Regards,
Martin

Terry Reedy

| Can someone responsible for maintaining the website please check what
| is happening and help me (and the rest of the IBM community) get back
| into the python website ?

forwarded to (e-mail address removed)