Is there any good Ruby GTK tutorial

Karthikeyan A k

Hello Folks,

I know Ruby very well and I use Ubuntu. The obvious choice for me is to
program in Ruby GTK. But I find the tutorial on the internet is very
limited and some sites are not at all functioning.

Is there any good Ruby GTK tutorial? Please help.

Grant Schoep

Go to
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?tutorials
Yes, the website often fails to connect, just retry. I use it as a
reference alot. You just need to refresh a few times to get pages to
load. The server is either really loaded or it is limited. Note it is in
japan. So connections are difficult at times, depending on where you are
of course.

Marc Heiler

Is there any good Ruby GTK tutorial? Please help.

There is not a really up-to-date tutorial.

However, there are many examples of Ruby-GTK/Gnome out there.

It helped me a lot to learn it. And I use the website for reference
purpose, I find the documentation to be sufficiently good to have
learned it - much better than Ruby-QT documentation by the way!

Edmond Kachale

2011/4/22 Karthikeyan A k said:
Hello Folks,

I know Ruby very well and I use Ubuntu. The obvious choice for me is to
program in Ruby GTK.

We are also on Ubuntu. A colleague of mine is working on a robot simulator
using Qt Ruby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QtRuby
---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell: +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*For this, I hold and uphold: I love my wife and respect my God!**
*

jake kaiden

hi there -

the documentation can be slow to load, but as Grant mentioned - simply
reloading the page a few times usually gets you there. i also agree
with Marc that the documentation for gtk2, although outdated, is much
better than what is generally available for other toolkits.

i found the samples in the "samples" directory of gtk2 (go figure...)
to be extremely helpful. between the samples and the web documentation,
i found gtk2 to be pretty easy to pick up.

here's a link to the audio player i worked out with gtk2 - maybe it
can serve as another example: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubywax/
(screenshot attached to this post, i haven't got it up on rubyforge
yet...)

there's also the gnome2 section of this forum, which is a great place
to ask questions specific to gtk2...

cheers,

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6190/rubyWax.jpg