ISE v9 VHDL compilation

Mark McDougall

Hi,

I'm a regular Quartus user who occasionally uses ISE to compile the same
code. Just today I attempted to compile code that has been working in
Quartus for several years now. However, I've run into several compilation
errors which have left me scratching my head.

Stupid stuff like "unconstrained arrays" which clearly are constrained.
Granted, I'm using the 'left attribute on a std_logic_vector whose range
is specified in a generic, but Quartus doesn't have any problem with it.

Just wondering if anyone else here does cross-vendor work and finds ISE
similarly frustrating to work with???

Regards,

Mike Treseler

Mark said:
Just wondering if anyone else here does cross-vendor work and finds ISE
similarly frustrating to work with???

Yes.
It is annoying to have to defile my code for ise.
Just submit the bug report.
They'll get it sorted out eventually.

Or better yet, they might take the easy way out
and switch to a verific front end like brand A.
and many others.

-- Mike Treseler

beky4kr

Yes.
It is annoying to have to defile my code for ise.
Just submit the bug report.
They'll get it sorted out eventually.

Or better yet, they might take the easy way out
and switch to a verific front end like brand A.
and many others.

-- Mike Treseler

You may want to see xilinx ise script examples at:
h--p://bknpk.no-ip.biz/leon_i2c_syn/leon_i2c_syn.html
h--p://bknpk.no-ip.biz/usb_8051_verilog_syn/usb_1_syn_intro.html

Mike Treseler

Eric said:
The front page of the Verific web site shows that Xilinx
is already one of their customers, using it for ISIM!

That is good news.
I hope the isim group will
have a talk with the synthesis group.

-- Mike Treseler

Allan Herriman

That is good news.
I hope the isim group will
have a talk with the synthesis group.

-- Mike Treseler

Verific claim compliance with IEEE 1076-1993

Someone should email a copy of VHDL-2008 to Verific. Or perhaps VHDL-
2006. Or maybe even VHDL-2001.

I really hope this is just out of date information on their web site.

One of the advantages of a monoculture is that the implementation of the
language(s) will be consistent across all the tools.
One of the disadvantages is that the one company wields a lot of power in
terms of the direction of the language(s), more even than the standards
bodies.

Regards,
Allan