'itemcommand' event not firing

Richard Murphy

Hi All,

I've been on this problem for many hours now and checked many posts and
forums but can still not find an answer. I hope someone can help.

I have a Datalist (I know its not a datagrid- but close enough) with a
template column in it which contains a button. The
datalist is in an ascx control that is loaded dynamically by the parent aspx
control. The problem the 'itemcommand' event is no longer being fired on
postback in response to the users click. I have tried everything I can think
of.
The event is definitely wired up - the datalist is only bound once within
the
!Page.Ispostback statement. The event was firing once before and now,
although I have changed nothing within the code that I know, all of a sudden
it does not. There is a possibility that something in one of the parent
containers controls has changed that could effect it but nothing that I know
of. I have tried creating a separate aspx page and replicating the datalist
there - the event fires no problem in this - it just doesn't work in the
child ascx controls. Any ideas?

Any clue may be that it seems the Viewstate is not working as the when the
control reloads the grid elements are not showing anymore. However I have
tried
enabling viewstate but get the same result.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Regards

Richard Murphy
espod.com

Richard Murphy

OK - it's solved!

It seems a change had been made to the parent control of the control with
the datalist in it that caused it to get loaded in the 'inializecomponent'
function. which screwed up the viewstate for the datalist.

brian

I am having the EXACT same problem...... and banging my
head against the wall!

Could you please post more details as to what you found
and how you fixed, etc....

Thanks!

Brian