J2ME IrDA access on mobile phones

Chris

Hi,

I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive. Best info so
far appears to be:

http://www.wmlscript.it/j2me/api20/javax/microedition/io/CommConnection.html

http://j2medevices.com/documentation/midp1.0/javax/microedition/io/package-summary.html

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible? If not, what will make
this possible in the future and when will it be available?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Anton Spaans

I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929&hig
hlight=%2Airda%2A
(text of that msg:
It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device is
the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

Hope that helps.
h.arald
)

It seems the only way to use IrDA for communications is to make your phone
act like a modem through your IrDA and then establish HTTP or similar
connections to a server running on the other device.
Good luck.

-- Anton Spaans.

Darryl L. Pierce

Chris said:
I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive.

Only if the OEM has enabled opening their irDA port via the Generic
Connection Framework. The only connection guaranteed to be available on any
platform is HttpConnection. I'm not aware of any OEM APIs on the S/E phones
for irDA communication.
CommConnection.html

This is for the MIDP 2.0 and not for MIDP 1.0 (which is what the T610 is, if
I'm not mistaken). And, it's not guaranteed to be present on any device.
http://j2medevices.com/documentation/midp1.0/javax/microedition/io package-summary.html

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible? If not, what will make
this possible in the future and when will it be available?

Since not all devices have irDA, the MIDP will probably never require
CommConnection on a platform. However, you should be able to check whether
it's possible to create such a connection and, if it's not, fail gracefully
with a note to the user.

Darryl L. Pierce

Anton Spaans said:
I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929&hig
hlight=%2Airda%2A
(text of that msg:
It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device
is the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

Incorrect. Bluetooth access if a part of JSR-82 and *not* MIDP 2.0; i.e.,
MIDP 1.0 devices could support Bluetooth if they have JSR-82 supported. As
for accessing irDA, it is possible, though that speaks nothing of whether
it's *available* on any particular device. The article you mention is from
a Nokia-specific website.

Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
manage irda in j2me

hi, mi name is alex, and after investigating so hard, i found how to do
a program that send strings by irda, to another movil.

if you want to know how to do that, please write me

(e-mail address removed)