    Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things.
    You just get used to them.
    ~ John von Neumann (born: 1903-12-28 died: 1957-02-08 at age: 53)

    Roedy Green, May 28, 2014

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2014 09:33:00 -0500, (Leif Roar
    Moldskred) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >> I have been using GenJar, but it is failing more and more often.

    >GenJar or GenJar2?

    GenJar. I could never get GenJar2 to work at all.

    What build system do you use? Maven?

    Roedy Green, May 28, 2014

  3. Roedy Green

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2014 06:47:24 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

    > What strategy do you use to prepare a list of classes to include in a
    > jar?

    Maven.

    > How do you ensure you did not forget anything?

    Happens on its own.

    > How do you ensure you did not include anything needlessly?

    ProGuard set to shrink.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.

    Joerg Meier, May 28, 2014
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2014 10:00:57 -0500, (Leif Roar
    Moldskred) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Maven or Gradle. I prefer Gradle myself, but Maven is more widely used.

    I have been reading the free Gradle eBook, which infuriatingly wants
    to tell me how to update SQL databases, not how to build a jar.

    From what I have read so far, it seems, like Maven and Ivy, Gradle
    does not do class dependency management, only jar dependency
    management. If even one class in a jar is need, the whole jar
    included in the distributed jar, and the contents of any jars any of
    those classes need. You tell it which jars depend on which. Therefore
    the problem of dynamic loading of classes unknown at compile time does
    not come up. The disadvantage is your jars are bloated.

    Is that correct?
    In former times, people who craved absolute power became gangsters.
    Today, they become computer programmers.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014