Java applet problem

BillW

I have had a problem with Java since upgrading one of our computers from
Windows ME to XP. Java applets won't run. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled Java, checked all the settings according to message posts as
well as information I could gather on the internet. We have another PC that
was XP from the beginning and Java applets run okay on it. I sync'd all
Explorer settings between the 2 computers making all settings equal to the
computer on which Java runs and I still have the problem.

I stopped trying to resolve this a few months ago and assumed that if there
was anything we wanted to look at that required Java, we would just use the
computer that does run Java. Now there is something I would like to run on
the java impaired computer that needs Java. I am asking one more time if
anyone has an idea of how I might get Java running. My daughter has 2
computers almost identical to ours and her ME to XP computer will not run
Java either. Java ran fine under ME but not now since the XP upgrade that
occurred over a year ago.

As an example, 2 sites that will not run are Broadband Reports and Pogo.
When running speed test on Broadband Reports, I get the little box with an
"x" in it when the site attempts to display the start test button. When
trying to start a game on Pogo, it just tells me that Java will not run on
my computer. The Sun Java site test tells me that Java is installed
correctly on my computer and offers the little game as a test. The game
will play, but that's the extent of my success with Java.

Add/Remove Programs has an entry for J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.
When I open the Java entry in the Control Panel, "About" shows 2 Platform
Standard Edition from Sun. The problem computer is a Dell Pentium 3 running
XP SP2 will all updates current.

Thank you for your help.

Mickey Segal

Do you see a purple rectangle under the words "Java configuration
information" on www.segal.org/java/config/ ? If so, what does it say? If
not, what does it say for navigator.javaEnabled under "JavaScript
configuration information"?

Bill W

Mickey,

Thank you very much for your help with this problem. I do not see a purple
rectangle under "Java configuration information." A line a text states
"Your browser is not set to run Java applets."

The following are the lines of text under "JavaScript configuration
information"

navigator.appName = Microsoft Internet Explorer
navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
navigator.vendorSub = undefined
navigator.javaEnabled() = true
navigator.platform = Win32
navigator.vendor = undefined

Thank you again for your help.

Mickey Segal

If you have gone to Add / Remove and removed Java and then re-installed Java
it sounds like the problem is some browser setting or something that got
corrupted. If this happened on several computes it sounds more like a
settings problem. I don't have any instant ideas; maybe someone else does.

About a year of two ago there was a buggy Microsoft Java removal tool that
disabled all Java, not just Microsoft Java. The tool was pulled very quickly
so very few computers were affected.

Mickey Segal

Some other things to check:

1. In "Internet Options" "Advanced" tab, Java (Sun) heading, make sure that
"Use JRE ..." is checkmarked.
2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level" find
"Scripting of
Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.
3. In "Tools" "Manage Add-Ons" find "Sun Java Console" and make sure it is
enabled.

You may need to restart the browser for some settings to take effect.

BillW

Mickey,

Thank you again for your help. I looked at all settings and they were
already set as you indicated.

Mickey Segal

Keep us posted if you figure this out. It would be good to help others in
the same rut.

BillW

I have one more question. I mentioned that we have 2 computers running XP
here at the house. One runs Java without a problem. The one that runs Java
has an entry in IE Advanced options for Microsoft VM and the computer that
will not run Java does not have the entry. Both have an entry for Sun Java.
Could this be part of the problem? If so, can I or should I download and
install Microsoft VM? If I should, where can I get it? Thanks again for
your help.

Mickey Segal

It is getting harder to find the MS JVM but this looks like a reliable
download site:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html

Do you think anyone might have used the ill-fated Microsoft Java removal
tool on the affected computers? That could explain your problem, but it is
unlikely because it was out for a very short time and was pulled before many
people were affected.

Bill W

I don't think so. I'll try loading MS JVM and let you know what happens.
Thanks again.

Mickey Segal

Another thing to try is Internet Options | Security options that mention
ActiveX. In some situations Microsoft treats many add-ins as if they use
ActiveX.

BTW, it should not be necessary for a straightforward applet to do this
operation that I listed previously:

2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level" find
"Scripting of Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.

I don't think #3 is needed either unless you need a Java Console:

3. In "Tools" "Manage Add-Ons" find "Sun Java Console" and make sure it is
enabled.

BillW

Mickey,

Installing Microsoft VM fixed it!!! Thank you very much for your help. I
can't tell you how many things I have tried that were offered from various
forums and internet sites. I have had this problem since upgrading from ME
to XP over a year ago. It was strange because during trouble shooting
efforts on the Microsoft site, I would be directed to a Bejeweled game on
MSN Game Zone and was told that if I could play the game, Java was installed
correctly - I could play the game. Still, simple applets like the start
button on DSL Reports would only show a box with an "x." I tried to run a
cribbage game on Pogo and was told that Java was not installed. I went back
to DSL Reports and Pogo after installing MS VM and both sites now run
without a problem.

I want to thank you again for your diligence and for all your efforts in
helping me solve this very frustrating and long-standing problem. Thank
you, thank you, thank you. You're the best!

Bill