Java Tutorials

Ntl New

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.
I've looked through a few books so far but there not very good at explaining
it. So was hope you people might know of a really good one?

Thanks a lot

Colin.H

Collin VanDyck

Ntl said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.
I've looked through a few books so far but there not very good at explaining
it. So was hope you people might know of a really good one?

Thanks a lot

Colin.H

Colin,

Try this:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Also:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=java+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search

And as a Joke:

http://www.plsgoogleit.com/

:)

In all seriousness, though, the Sun tutorials are great and will do a
good job of getting you up to speed on Java.

Good luck!
Collin

Rhino

Ntl New said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.
I've looked through a few books so far but there not very good at explaining
it. So was hope you people might know of a really good one?

Thanks a lot
Good, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder so I have no idea if you
will like this suggestion.

I first learned Java primarily via the Java Tutorial at
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ and found it very useful. This link
takes you to the online version of the tutorial; much of it can be
downloaded to your computer (see the dowload link in the index on the right
hand side of the page) and book versions of the tutorial are also available
via links on that page. The online version of the Java Tutorial is free as
is the downloadable part so that will help you stretch your budget.

Of course, you will want to supplement the tutorial with the API for the
version of Java you are using and you'll want to use every opportunity to
write code with it. The tutorial, the API, lots of hands-on practice and
liberal use of the Usenet Java newsgroups should get you up to speed
*relatively* painlessly. I say relatively because I've seen a lot of people
who were pretty competent at other languages, like VB, dabble in Java but
give up pretty quickly because the learning curve is pretty steep.

Personally, I think Java is the greatest thing since the advent of bread
(not just the sliced kind) but your mileage may vary.

Rhino

Thomas Fritsch

Ntl said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.
I've looked through a few books so far but there not very good at explaining
it. So was hope you people might know of a really good one?

Thanks a lot

Colin.H
Your search engine seems to be broken, so take mine ;-)
<http://www.google.de/search?q=Java+Tutorial>
You will get Sun's Java Tutorial on top of the list.

TechBookReport

Ntl said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.
I've looked through a few books so far but there not very good at explaining
it. So was hope you people might know of a really good one?

Thanks a lot

Colin.H

As people have already pointed out, take a look at the Sun Java
tutorials. For book recommendations take a look at the reading list at
TechBookReport (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html).

Pan

bugbear

Ntl said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me of a very good Java
tutorial, both online and book form.
I'm studing at uni at the minute and have been learning VB.Net and
Delphi, but I was looking to learn Java for something to get my teeth into.

Assuming you're a beginner to coding, what you should
be learning about is problem analysis, coding patterns,
modularity, algorithmic analysis...

All of these are (pretty much) programming language
independant.

If your uni course is sensible, these key concepts
will be a major part of the delphi and VB.net
instruction, so you should't need to add java
to your current learning curve.

If your uni is teaching you badly, you chose
the wrong uni.

BugBear