javac: how to get the FULL errors/warnings list?

Miguel Farah

My organization is as metrics-hungry as any (I work for a certain large
North American aerospace company which does defense contracting), so I
can certainly appreciate the pressure one feels to produce such
numbers.
[......]
3. Turn what a human would consider a "single error" into a godawful
long cascade of errors, which goes away as soon as you "kill the head
vampire."
4. Seg fault (well, it happens...).

Investigating further, I managed to "determine" the number of errors,
by removing individual source files, one by one, until the number of
errors dropped below 100 (28, to be precise). Almost all of them are
due to missing libraries (which eases the burden considerably), and
only
around 50 are due to true syntax errors.

Now, I'm on the same process with the warnings...

Roedy Green

Off topic roedy

You never complained when someone pointed out that information sought
would be used primarily by spammers.

Surely pointing out that it will be used for murder is in the same
domain.

Patrick May

Roedy Green said:
You never complained when someone pointed out that information
sought would be used primarily by spammers.

Surely pointing out that it will be used for murder is in the same
domain.

By the same token, then, pointing out that those large aerospace
companies that work on DoD contracts make a major contribution to the
defense of the United States is equally on topic for this group.

I don't post as frequently as Mr. Green, but I do welcome
Mr. Meyers' participation on those grounds.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Roedy Green

I work at a BANK. You know, those evil bastards
that retain people's money and then "have system-wide
problems" when they want their coins & bills back.

Excuse me for wanting to do things properly, you troll. :p

I am not plonking you. I am plonking those who use the help they are
given here for military purposes.

Roedy Green

By the same token, then, pointing out that those large aerospace
companies that work on DoD contracts make a major contribution to the
defense of the United States is equally on topic for this group.

That was true, but no longer. The USA spends more on "defence" that
every other country put together. The Pentagon has not been about
defence since WWII.

In any case, I am plonking military contractors and I invite you to
also. I won't plonk you for refusing.

Mike Schilling

Miguel Farah said:
I work at a BANK. You know, those evil bastards
that retain people's money and then "have system-wide
problems" when they want their coins & bills back.

A bank? Well, I'll let you slide this time, but it's lucky for you that you
don't work for an insurance company.

Chris Smith

Roedy Green said:
Well you certainly don't like mine and you have made no secret of it.

Roedy, I have a lot of respect for you and your politics. I turn down
job offers in military industries. I do pay my taxes (U.S.), but I also
spend thousands of hours and dollars per year trying to change how the
government spends them.

Nevertheless, I also agree that you're off-topic.

Obviously you may disagree, and no one here can stop you from posting...
but don't assume that any objections are coming from extremist
conservative war-mongerers.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Luc The Perverse

Andrew McDonagh said:
Off topic roedy

Oh chill out.

The world has enough crusaders, SUV drivers, and heroin addicts already.

Your reply stating that his post is off topic is also by the same definition
off topic.

Hiran Chaudhuri

Roedy Green said:
It is on topic in that he might be puzzled why I stop helping him, and
I hope everyone else does to. If you aid him, there is blood on your
hands too.

I hope you and your company never get involved into software projects that
are directly or indirectly involved in military actions. Which is quite
unlikely to happen......

Hiran

Roedy Green

I hope you and your company never get involved into software projects that
are directly or indirectly involved in military actions. Which is quite
unlikely to happen...
Ever since about 1985 I have marked every piece of software I have
written "for non military use only". I have turned down all requests
from military contractors. If you co-operate with them, your have as
much blood on your hands as any soldier.

In once incident Rockwell's representative said "**** you, we are
going to use your software anyway". It was a bug-free rewrite of MS
DOS restore, used at the time by the FAA for distributing software.

It could restore files backed up under any version of DOS to any
version of DOS. This was before the Internet and people shared files
on floppy.

Roedy Green

You are just sticking your head in the sand. You can kill by
helping the wrong people.

You think that is an exaggeration? Consider the worst case: that
these military contractors end up blowing up the entire world and
killing everyone . That is 6.5 billion people killed. If you
contribute even 0.000000015% of that effort, that is equivalent to
killing one person.

Nigel Wade

Roedy said:
After this initial discussion as to why, Luke is going into the filter
file so I won't accidentally help him on any matter. I request
everyone do likewise until he gets a proper job. Others don't have to
be so public about it as I am being.

You simply must not co-operate with that sort of wrongdoing. If you
do, you become part of it.

.

I will co-operate with whomsoever I like.

I don't need you to instruct me on who I ma allowed to help, and who I am not.
Someone who works for the defence of their country is much more deserving of
help than is someone who thinks they have the right to dictate to others what
they should think.

Roedy Green

I will co-operate with whomsoever I like.

I don't need you to instruct me on who I ma allowed to help, and who I am not.
Someone who works for the defence of their country is much more deserving of
help than is someone who thinks they have the right to dictate to others what
they should thin

I am dismayed at the reaction. Some of your are like the guy who
fixed the gas chambers at Auschwitz who refused to even consider the
effect his work was having on the big picture. It is your
responsibility to think every once in a while about whether what you
are doing is right, even something as seemingly innocuous as writing
Java code.

I can't stop you from contributing to murder, but of course I won't
help you do it either. I want to encourage others to behave in a
similar morally responsible way as I do, even if it makes people
uncomfortable. I don't feel the slightest guilt about making people
who kill, even indirectly, feel uncomfortable. I have no power over
you other than persuasion and refusing to help you, so your
"dictating" crack is off the mark.

The American Defence industry has had little to do with defense since
WWII. It is about squeezing other countries to get them to hand over
resources to American corporations. Americans consume about 1/3 of the
world pie with less than 5% of the population.. If it were about
defense, there would be no need for the stupendous expenditures, more
than the rest of the world put together.

I can get really nasty to those who kill directly, e.g. Americans
solders who brag to me about killing children. See
http://mindprod.com/feedback/peace.html

Andrew McDonagh

snipped usual dribble...
I can get really nasty to those who kill directly,

Is it just me, or did anyone else imagine Roedy standing at this pc,
writing that with his hands on his hips and sticking his tongue out?

Roedy, this is a Java NG....nothing else

Roedy Green

Is it just me, or did anyone else imagine Roedy standing at this pc,
writing that with his hands on his hips and sticking his tongue out?

Roedy, this is a Java NG....nothing else

That was an underhanded trick to post to comp.lang.java.programmer but
set the follow up quietly to elsewhere so no one here would hear
rebuttals.

I am not asking for a discussion of military contractors, the Iraq
war, President Bush, American military history.... If you want to
discuss that stuff try the politics part of my website and blogs or
other newsgroups.

I AM talking about Java -- how you can inadvertently use Java to
kill people. I am talking about YOU and what you do at your keyboard.
Whom do you use your skills for? Whom do you help on the newsgroups?

It is just as relevant as talking about bug control in Java systems to
control automated rail.

You are flatly refusing to even think for 5 seconds about the big
picture. It makes you uncomfortable so you weasel away from it.

I am having great trouble controlling my contempt for you.

Stefan Schulz

Roedy said:
After this initial discussion as to why, Luke is going into the filter
file so I won't accidentally help him on any matter. I request
everyone do likewise until he gets a proper job. Others don't have to
be so public about it as I am being.

You simply must not co-operate with that sort of wrongdoing. If you
do, you become part of it.

Roedy, continue to spew propaganda at this rate, and i might be forced
to add you to my filters. I would not like to do so, since you are a
regular, and frequently have interesting ideas, but i don't want this
NG to become to playground for discussions about anyones particular
views. (Not that i do not agree with you on quite a few things...)

If you are interested in answering me, please use a private mail, we do
not need to distribute this to the entire world.