JCreator trouble - or is it just java?

Dustan

I'm trying to write a Hello World program in JCreator, but it's not
compiling. I get this error message:

Error : Invalid path, "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\javac.exe"
-classpath "C:\Documents and Settings\DUSTAN\My
Documents\Example\classes" -d C:\Documents" and Settings\DUSTAN\My
"Documents\Example\classes @src_example.txt"

Indeed, "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\javac.exe" does not
exist (though the directory that it should be in, "C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\", DOES exist). I assume that's the
executable required to compile the program. I did try uninstalling and
reinstalling java; that didn't help. What do I need to do to get that
file onto my computer so I can compile my own programs?

System info:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\DUSTAN>java -version
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Patricia Shanahan

Dustan wrote:
Indeed, "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\javac.exe" does not
exist (though the directory that it should be in, "C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\", DOES exist). I assume that's the
executable required to compile the program. I did try uninstalling and
reinstalling java; that didn't help. What do I need to do to get that
file onto my computer so I can compile my own programs? ....
C:\Documents and Settings\DUSTAN>java -version
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) supports running Java programs, but not
developing them. You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) which also
contains the things you only need to develop Java programs, such as javac.

Patricia

Dustan

Patricia said:
Dustan wrote:

A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) supports running Java programs, but not
developing them. You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) which also
contains the things you only need to develop Java programs, such as javac.

Patricia

Thanks for the help; I have it working now!