JRuby 1.0.0RC3 Released!

Thomas Enebo

The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0.0RC3.

Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

This will likely be our final release candidate before our 1.0 release.
People are
encouraged to try out this release to help us find any remaining show
stopper issues. We
have spent a lot of time over the last month squashing compatibility
bugs and we have
confidence that applications 'will just work' (tm)*. Please try your
applications and
libraries against JRuby and give us feedback.

In the last month we have had a record number of people come in and
provide a patch or
report a bug. Interest in JRuby has exploded since JavaOne and
RailsConf, and many
development groups are now testing and deploying JRuby and JRuby on
Rails apps in
production. This has really helped accelerate our progress and JRuby is
looking much
better because of it. A few honorable mentions go out to: Koichiro
Ohba, Daniel Berger,
David Montag, Dr Nic Williams, and Jon Tirsen.

We also want to thank all the people who hang out on IRC,
triage/report/patch issues, and
communicate on our mailing lists. Their interest has really helped
shape JRuby into a
better implementation.

As we approach our 1.0 release, we encourage Ruby (and JRuby) community
members to
contribute to a few projects key to the success of alternative
implementations:

- The RubySpec Wiki (www.headius.com/rubyspec) has slowly been growing
into a free,
community-driven specification of Ruby. Many people have contributed
articles, and several
of those directly aided JRuby development. The more people contribute to
the wiki--in any
way--the more it will begin to form a complete specification for Ruby
the language and
Ruby the platform. Have you written RubySpec today?

- Both the Rubinius and JRuby projects have been building out their
testing suites, to the
point that JRuby now runs more regression/compatibility tests than any
other Ruby
implementation and Rubinius has the largest collection of RSpec
specifications for Ruby.
We two projects have been coordinating and cooperating on these
testing/spec suites, but
they need your help! Check out the JRuby or Rubinius source code and dig
into the tests...
you'll be helping both projects and the community at large. For more
test suites, check
out the RubyTests project on RubyForge, where it is hoped that all test
suites will
eventually reside, and the ruby_test project under the Shards project on
RubyForge.

JRuby's tests are at http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby/trunk/jruby in the
test dir.
Rubinius's specs are at http://code.fallingsnow.net/svn/rubinius/trunk