Keith Thompson's messages dont come through

Charlie Gordon

Keith Thompson wrote this by private email:
I don't think there's anything wrong with my news server (which is
"news-server.san.rr.com", provided by my ISP, Time Warner Cable's
Roadrunner service). At least some people are obviously seeing my
messages, and Google Groups shows four of my articls in this thread.

Perhaps someone or something has decided to block messages from
news-server.san.rr.com for some reason. Charlie, perhaps you could
check with the administrators of free.fr and aioe.org? If I'm being
blocked, it's always possible that somebody important is being blocked
too. :cool:}

It also seemed odd that I didn't show up on the latest "Stats for
comp.lang.c (last 7 days)" post, for Nov 3-10. I don't think I've
been *that* quiet.

I'll e-mail this to Charlie as well as posting here.

I've open an account with motzarella.org, and your last post does not show
up there either.
As a matter of fact, your messages show up on a very irregular basis:
Since November 1st, 2007, I received:
on motzarella.org (a German news host):
4 messages dated nov 1st, 11 dated 11/4, 7 dated 11/5, 9 dated 11/9 and 5
dated 11/7.
on aieo.org (an Italian news host), retention is 10 days:
3 messages dated 11/2, 10 dated 11/3 and nothing more recent.
on free.fr (a French ISP, retention is much longer)
8 messages dated 11/1, 4 dated 11/2, 9 dated 11/3, and nothing since.

I have not investigated other posters and other news services, and I realize
NNTP and Usenet are not 100% reliable, but I think this is way beyond normal
news service regularity.
Has anyone else experienced similar irregularities ?

Also does anyone know of an NNTP reader that can retrieve posts from
different servers and aggregate them in a single local store, removing
duplicates (and spam ;-)

I know this is somewhat off topic, but this annoyance hampers my ability to
follow some of the most interesting discussions, and probably affects
several regulars on the forum, including the one that posts the weekly
stats.

Walter Roberson

Charlie Gordon said:
Also does anyone know of an NNTP reader that can retrieve posts from
different servers and aggregate them in a single local store, removing
duplicates (and spam ;-)

[OT]

The documentation for xnews implies it can do this (not the spam part
though.) I haven't managed to get the duplicate-removing function
working myself, but I haven't tried much.

J. J. Farrell

Charlie said:
[...]

I finally made the effort to give up on Google Groups a couple of weeks
ago after they introduced some new bugs (or rather reintroduced some old
ones). With NNTP server news.enta.net in the UK I almost immediately
noticed I wasn't seeing Keith's postings. Since then I've seen a total
of 10 all posted on November 3rd (which was roughly when I moved). I'm
not sure if they're coming through sporadically or just very slowly.
I've not noticed any problems with other regulars.

santosh

Charlie Gordon said:
Keith Thompson wrote this by private email:

I've open an account with motzarella.org, and your last post does not
show up there either.

I can confirm that. Keith's articles have not been showing up on both
news.motzarella.org as well as nntp.aioe.org for some time now, (I
estimate a month and a half).
As a matter of fact, your messages show up on a very irregular basis:
Since November 1st, 2007, I received:
on motzarella.org (a German news host):
4 messages dated nov 1st, 11 dated 11/4, 7 dated 11/5, 9 dated 11/9
and 5 dated 11/7.
on aieo.org (an Italian news host), retention is 10 days:
3 messages dated 11/2, 10 dated 11/3 and nothing more recent.
on free.fr (a French ISP, retention is much longer)
8 messages dated 11/1, 4 dated 11/2, 9 dated 11/3, and nothing since.

I have not investigated other posters and other news services, and I
realize NNTP and Usenet are not 100% reliable, but I think this is way
beyond normal news service regularity.
Has anyone else experienced similar irregularities ?

Google Groups, as far as I can tell, seems to carry his posts. It's
certainly unusual that three news providers, (all in mainland Europe),
don't seem to carry Keith's posts. The only logical reason I can think
of is that his news provider has been blocked.
Also does anyone know of an NNTP reader that can retrieve posts from
different servers and aggregate them in a single local store, removing
duplicates (and spam ;-)

I think, I'm not sure, that Gnus can do this.
I know this is somewhat off topic, but this annoyance hampers my
ability to follow some of the most interesting discussions, and
probably affects several regulars on the forum, including the one that
posts the weekly stats.

Yes. It has certainly been a nuisance to visit Google Groups to read
Keith's articles. Otherwise I only see portions of his articles quoted
in reply by others.

Dik T. Winter

> Keith Thompson wrote this by private email: .... ....
> I've open an account with motzarella.org, and your last post does not show
> up there either.
> As a matter of fact, your messages show up on a very irregular basis:
> Since November 1st, 2007, I received:
> on motzarella.org (a German news host):
> 4 messages dated nov 1st, 11 dated 11/4, 7 dated 11/5, 9 dated 11/9 and 5
> dated 11/7.
> on aieo.org (an Italian news host), retention is 10 days:
> 3 messages dated 11/2, 10 dated 11/3 and nothing more recent.
> on free.fr (a French ISP, retention is much longer)
> 8 messages dated 11/1, 4 dated 11/2, 9 dated 11/3, and nothing since.

Well, here (also in Europe) the messages appear to come through without
problem. 47 messages from Keith since late 11/04.

Richard Bos

santosh said:
I can confirm that. Keith's articles have not been showing up on both
news.motzarella.org as well as nntp.aioe.org for some time now, (I
estimate a month and a half).

He's disappeared from my server about a week ago. Before that, I can't
be sure of course, but I _think_ everything came through fine.

Richard

Tor Rustad

Charlie said:
Keith Thompson wrote this by private email:[...]

I have not investigated other posters and other news services, and I realize
NNTP and Usenet are not 100% reliable, but I think this is way beyond normal
news service regularity.
Has anyone else experienced similar irregularities ?

Not me, Keith post a lot. :)
Also does anyone know of an NNTP reader that can retrieve posts from
different servers and aggregate them in a single local store, removing
duplicates (and spam ;-)

Sounded like a fun project, that is, if dropping the GUI programming. :)

Are you sure, your current spam or kill filter, isn't buggy?

Mark Bluemel

Tor said:
Charlie said:
Keith Thompson wrote this by private email:
[...]
What is wrong with Keith's news server, I don't receive any of his
posts
(neither free.fr, nor aioe.org carry them). Is this some sort of
agency
mantated embargo, as the name suggests ?
[...]

I have not investigated other posters and other news services, and I
realize NNTP and Usenet are not 100% reliable, but I think this is way
beyond normal news service regularity.
Has anyone else experienced similar irregularities ?

Not me, Keith post a lot. :)
Are you sure, your current spam or kill filter, isn't buggy?

I also view the group via aioe and Keith's posts are missing.

Default User

Richard said:
He's disappeared from my server about a week ago. Before that, I can't
be sure of course, but I think everything came through fine.

I'm seeing his posts through news.individual.net.

Brian

CBFalconer

J. J. Farrell said:
.... snip ...

I finally made the effort to give up on Google Groups a couple of
weeks ago after they introduced some new bugs (or rather
reintroduced some old ones). With NNTP server news.enta.net in the
UK I almost immediately noticed I wasn't seeing Keith's postings.
Since then I've seen a total of 10 all posted on November 3rd
(which was roughly when I moved). I'm not sure if they're coming
through sporadically or just very slowly. I've not noticed any
problems with other regulars.

News servers can do peculiar things. I have noticed that some of
my postings on teranews are delayed for as long as 5 days. It
hasn't happened recently. I have no idea why. The delays can
interact with old message purging rules at the destination.

CBFalconer

Mark said:
I also view the group via aioe and Keith's posts are missing.

It's not just the one news-server, it's the whole path from there
to whatever you are reading it on. There are many possibilities.
The 'Path' header identifies the route for successful posts, but
the lack of posts doesn't have any 'Path' at the destination!

Remember, there are no transmission guarantees in Usenet.

Keith Willis

I'm seeing his posts through news.individual.net.

Interesting. Now I _know_ that aioe.org do filter, simply because
since I've been with them I am not seeing 99.9999% of the current
sporge attack in sci.crypt - the precise reason I moved to them from
teranews, in fact. I suppose it's possible that their filtering could
be a tad over-zealous, and certainly I've not been seeing any of Keith
T's articles for a while. But why would motzarella be over-zealous in
the exact same way? In other words, is there anything 'singlular'
about Keith's posts that might mark them as suitable for filtering?

Kenny McCormack

Keith Willis said:
Interesting. Now I _know_ that aioe.org do filter, simply because
since I've been with them I am not seeing 99.9999% of the current
sporge attack in sci.crypt - the precise reason I moved to them from
teranews, in fact. I suppose it's possible that their filtering could
be a tad over-zealous, and certainly I've not been seeing any of Keith
T's articles for a while. But why would motzarella be over-zealous in
the exact same way? In other words, is there anything 'singlular'
about Keith's posts that might mark them as suitable for filtering?

Words fail me.

Maybe, if we get really lucky, we could get the newsservers of the world
to drop RH's silliness as well.

santosh

Keith Willis said:
Interesting. Now I _know_ that aioe.org do filter, simply because
since I've been with them I am not seeing 99.9999% of the current
sporge attack in sci.crypt - the precise reason I moved to them from
teranews, in fact. I suppose it's possible that their filtering could
be a tad over-zealous, and certainly I've not been seeing any of Keith
T's articles for a while. But why would motzarella be over-zealous in
the exact same way? In other words, is there anything 'singlular'
about Keith's posts that might mark them as suitable for filtering?

Perhaps the "filtering" is being done by some other server from which
both aioe and motzarella both get feeds? And Charlie has confirmed that
free.fr also has the same problem. It seems unlikely that three
different servers will employ precisely the same filtering.

Keith Willis

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:47:05 +0000 (UTC),
Words fail me.

One can only hope.
Maybe, if we get really lucky, we could get the newsservers of the world
to drop RH's silliness as well.

Well I certainly shan't be seeing any more of your silliness.
<*plonk*>

Spoon

santosh said:
Perhaps the "filtering" is being done by some other server from which
both aioe and motzarella both get feeds? And Charlie has confirmed that
free.fr also has the same problem. It seems unlikely that three
different servers will employ precisely the same filtering.

Here's one of the last messages I have.

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Simple allocation of two buffer on AMD64
From: Keith Thompson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:07:47 -0700

Al Balmer

Here's one of the last messages I have.

I'm still getting them - the latest path was

Same through newshosting.com.
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
From: Keith Thompson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:07:47 -0700

Spoon said:
Here's one of the last messages I have.

Due to the sporge attack in some groups, I've heard something about
cancel messages being sent for Road Runner posts. I don't remember the
details, and NIN doesn't seem to be honoring them if this is the case
here. I don't know that it has anything to do with it or not.

Brian

Keith Thompson

Default User said:
Due to the sporge attack in some groups, I've heard something about
cancel messages being sent for Road Runner posts. I don't remember the
details, and NIN doesn't seem to be honoring them if this is the case
here. I don't know that it has anything to do with it or not.

Ok, I think that probably explains it. A bit of Googling
turned up a thread in news.admin.net-abuse.policy at

http://groups.google.com/group/news...ff1bacd5618/b9840dbbb9ceb3a8#b9840dbbb9ceb3a8

or equivalently

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2c563t

According to the second article in that thread, posted Nov 4 by Xavier
Roche:

rr.com: still being used for floods, never replied to complaints
(6 sent so far) ; upstream (newshosting) replied _once_ that
something should be done (..)

I've already complained to rr.com about this; I'll do so again and
draw their attention to the thread in nanap.

"Default User": if you see this, can you post a followup quoting the
entire article? If Default User hasn't done so after a while, can
someone else do so? Thanks.

Keith Thompson

Default User wrote:
[...]
Due to the sporge attack in some groups, I've heard something about
cancel messages being sent for Road Runner posts. I don't remember the
details, and NIN doesn't seem to be honoring them if this is the case
here. I don't know that it has anything to do with it or not.

I'm trying aoie.org; we'll see if it works. (BTW, aioe.org doesn't have
the messages I've posted from rr.com; I think somebody already mentioned
that.) The following is a repeat of what I posted from rr.com. I might
consider switching to aioe.org for news posting if RoadRunner doesn't
get its act together.