looking for a good introduction to OOP

Darren Dale

Hi,

I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts, like design
and techniques. I have experience with Matlab and Python, a little with
C#, and almost none with C++. Could I get suggestions for some good
books? C++ is not an obstacle, but Python based examples would be
easier.

Thanks,
Darren

Jonas Galvez

Darren said:
I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts

This is just about the best introduction to OOP I have ever seen:

http://www.debreuil.com/docs/ch01_Intro.htm

This is a very well written and illustrated tutorial which should get
you started on the whole thing. It is focused on (Flash) ActionScript
(a JavaScript implementation) programming. JavaScript and Python are
very similar languages when it comes to OOP and functional
programming. Although JavaScript is prototype based, it still
resembles a lof of the characterists of Python. You might even be able
to grasp concepts like meta-classes more easily if you are familiar
with the JavaScript prototype mechanism.

As they say, JavaScript is under-rated.

\\ jonas galvez
// jonasgalvez.com

Alan Gauld

I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts, like design
and techniques. I have experience with Matlab and Python, a little with

My personal favourites are Timothy Budd's book which uses several
languages to illustrate concepts - I personally like to see how
different languages do things. Translating those examples back to
Python would be instructive too.

Also Grady Booch's (now ancient!) OO A&D book is worth a read
(again I prefer the multi lingual first edition, but
the C++ only 2nd edition is OK.) This gives you some different
application types and sizes to consider how OOP works. This is
effective because often the real value of OOOP is most apparent
on larger scale projects.

Finally Cetus-Links is a great web resource for OOP sites.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website

Mike Meyer

I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts, like design
and techniques. I have experience with Matlab and Python, a little with

I consider Bertrand Meyer's "Object Oriented Software Construction" a
must read for OO developers. It is getting dated, though.

<mike

Neuruss

I assume that you already know the basics, but if you're just starting
out and you need a very clear, simple and real life example of OOP
concepts in action, I suggest Alan Gauld's online tutorial (see third
post above).

He introduces OOP with an example of a banking application.
This was just what I needed to make the mental "switch" to understand
OOP.
I think this example is an excellent one for somebody new to OOP
concepts.

By the way, thanks Alan!