Looking for Coders or Testers for an Open Source File Organizer

Discussion in 'Python' started by zainul franciscus, Jun 14, 2011.

  1. I started an open source file organizer called Miranda. Miranda is
    inspired by Belvedere written by Adam Pash of Lifehacker (http://
    lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere-automates-your-self+cleaning-pc). I
    know you guys must be thinking "Hmm, Miranda, isn't that an IM
    application ?"; Yep I hear you, I'll change the name once I get a good
    name. I am open for any suggestions.

    Miranda is written in Python, meant for Ubuntu, but hopefully it can
    be tested for every Linux Flavour. I have nothing much to offer in
    return for the software,but I will acknowledge your contribution in
    the software, and give credit to anyone helping when I feature Miranda
    in How-To Geek : http://www.howtogeek.com/

    I am a beginner in python, so the code may look a bit messy, and I am
    open to rewrite the code if I can get a mentor whom I can pair with
    for coding the application. I do have 7+ years of programming, web
    development, database, desktop, you name it. So I am not totally blind
    of programming, but it will be great to get an experienced python
    programmer who has the passion for coding, and the patience to mentor
    a beginner python.

    The chief geek has given his nod of approval to publish Miranda
    through how-to geek, and I can pitch any of your software to him, and
    write an article about it - provided that the chief geek approve the
    software.

    zainul franciscus, Jun 14, 2011

  2. zainul franciscus

    Matt Chaput Guest

    Actually I was thinking "isn't that a functional programming language?"

    My suggestion: Cruftbuster

    Matt Chaput, Jun 14, 2011

  3. Where is this code hosted? I'd be more than happy to (hopefully) lend
    a hand wherever I can. I'm not that savvy (yet) with Python, but I'm
    knowledgeable with a lot of computer science algorithms and such for
    both sorting and searching, which I assume will help greatly!

    Zachary Dziura, Jun 14, 2011
  4. Same here.
    'Phile'

    Geremy Condra

    geremy condra, Jun 14, 2011
  5. zainul franciscus

    Alister Ware Guest

    So where can I get a copy or have i missed something (Fedora user so thats
    one more distro for you)

    Alister Ware, Jun 14, 2011
  6. Or 'Philtre'. A philtre is a very useful thing to have around a
    house... just ask Aline Sangazure.

    I'd like to join this project, as a tester.

    Chris Angelico

    Chris Angelico, Jun 14, 2011
  7. zainul franciscus

    Redcat Guest

    The chief geek has given his nod of approval to publish Miranda through
    I wouldn't mind contributing some time to this project.

    Redcat, Jun 14, 2011
  8. zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011
  9. zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011
  10. zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011
  11. zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011
  12. zainul franciscus

    Zach Dziura Guest

    Sounds good, I shall take a look at it when I get home from work. (The
    Google Docs domain is blocked here. Curses!)

    Just as a tip: on the project's homepage, just write about your
    project and what it's features are. Don't write in the first person.
    This isn't about you, it's about the project. O=)

    Zach Dziura, Jun 15, 2011
  13. zainul franciscus

    Zach Dziura Guest

    Also, can I be added to the project? Email is

    Zach Dziura, Jun 15, 2011
  14. Thank you for the interest, I have added you as one of the committer.
    Let me know if you have any problem with the application, just IM me
    at gtalk, or email me. I am located in Wellington, New Zealand, so
    there might be some lag in our communication. I shall try to answer
    any of your questions as prompt as possible =)

    zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011
  15. Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it =)

    zainul franciscus, Jun 15, 2011