Looking for the Perfect Editor

Omar

I'd love the perfect editor that would be:

a) free

b) enable me to drag and drop code snippets from a sort of browser into
the code

c) can run programs right from within

d) can edit
- PYTHON
- Javascript
- HTML
- actionscript (since I'm also learning flash)

e) easy to learn

suggestions?

Claudio Grondi

Omar said:
I'd love the perfect editor that would be:

a) free

b) enable me to drag and drop code snippets from a sort of browser into
the code

c) can run programs right from within

d) can edit
- PYTHON
- Javascript
- HTML
- actionscript (since I'm also learning flash)

e) easy to learn

suggestions?
Welcome to the group of users of UliPad :)

http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad

a) ok
b) by double click (code snippets)
c) ok
e) maybe not that easy because of lack of full documentation, but sure
worth to try, anyway.

Claudio Grondi

Doug Stell

Try www.TextPad.com. I've used it for years and love it. It
understands many programming language constructs and can be taught to
understand python so that things show up in color.

Claudio Grondi

Omar said:
thanks for the suggestions, fellas
Would be kind of you to tell us which one you have decided to use and why?

Claudio Grondi
P.S. If you don't like any of already mentioned you can give SciTe a try.

Omar

I've been using scite the last few days, and have also been
experimenting with ulipad.

thanks, again

Dick Moores

Try www.TextPad.com. I've used it for years and love it. It
understands many programming language constructs and can be taught to
understand python so that things show up in color.

Any tips on how to teach TextPad to understand python?

Thanks,

Dick Moores

urielka

use Eclipse!!!
it is not a editor but it is the best free IDE out there.
for python use Pydev(pydev.sf.net) plugin:it got
EVERYTHING:completteion,debuging(with thread support)you can`t work
without a debugger for serious projects.
for Web Develop use Aptana(aptana.com) another plugin for eclipse,in
eairly stages but it is very amazing support most of open source
javascript library with auto-complete and outline of code.
Scribes look very nice for a editor i will try it for lightweight
editing.

Dick Moores

Download and install the Python syntax highlighting definition from the
TextPad website.

Thanks very much, Kent. I've been using TextPad for 10 years and
never considered using it for Python.

I downloaded Python (7) from
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/synn2t.html and put the file
PythonV2.4.syn in C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\system .
I make a tool to run the front window in Python. Here are the values
from the preferences window for the tool:

Command: C:\Python24\python.exe
Parameters: -u $File
Init fldr: $FileDir

regex to match output:
^.*"([^"]+)", *line ([0-9]+)

with File: 1, Line: 2

After fumbling around, I believe I've made the tool, using your
values, except I used E:\Python24\python.exe instead of
C:\Python24\python.exe .

I also associated .py with TextPad. I'm now able to open a Python
script with TextPad, and execute it with Ctrl+4.

However, no syntax highlighting is showing up. so I must have done
something wrong. Do I have to do something other than put
PythonV2.4.syn in C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\system ?

Also, why do you use TextPad instead of IDLE?

Thanks,

Dick Moores

Kent Johnson

Dick said:
I downloaded Python (7) from
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/synn2t.html and put the file
PythonV2.4.syn in C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\system .

However, no syntax highlighting is showing up. so I must have done
something wrong. Do I have to do something other than put
PythonV2.4.syn in C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\system ?

One more step - make a new Document Class for Python (in the prefs).
Associate it with *.py, turn on syntax highlighting and select the
syntax file you downloaded.
Also, why do you use TextPad instead of IDLE?

You're kidding, right?

Kent

Dick Moores

One more step - make a new Document Class for Python (in the prefs).
Associate it with *.py, turn on syntax highlighting and select the
syntax file you downloaded.

OK. Done.
You're kidding, right?

No. Tell me, please. Macros? Comparing files? What else?

Dick

Kent Johnson

Dick said:
No. Tell me, please. Macros? Comparing files? What else?

OK...please, no one interpret this as IDLE bashing or attempt to show me
a better way. I'm happy with TextPad and just writing this because I was
asked...

In my opinion:

- Most of my Python work is actually in Jython. I can run a Jython
program with a tool in TP. Actually I have separate tools for each
active project that set the correct working directory and invoke a batch
file with the right jars. Can't do that in IDLE.

- TextPad is a good general-purpose editor, not just for Python. All the
following reasons really come under this heading. I have an editor I
like, it works great for Python, there is really no reason to use IDLE.

- Fast and powerful multi-file search (easily specify the directory and
file types to search)

- Syntax highlighting for XML, HTML, Velocity templates, Ruby, Java,
JavaScript, R, SQL, CSS...all file types I use more or less frequently.

- Word wrap

- Show invisibles

- Customizable with macros and external tools

- Open as binary

etc...

Kent

Jorgen Grahn

Q: how can I do x with A
A: use B!!! OMG LOLLZZ111!!!11eleven

No, it was a perfectly reasonable answer.

(And I say that even though I (a) hate sloppy writing and (b) dislike IDEs
in general and Eclipse in particular.)

/Jorgen

John Bokma

Jorgen Grahn said:
No, it was a perfectly reasonable answer.

Q: Any tips on how to teach TextPad to understand python?
A: use Eclipse!!!

A reasonable answer would have been to download the syntax file for python
from the textpad website.