loselong (new commandline utility)

Malcolm McLean

There's a new utility on my website.

I wrote it because when I was grepping for symbols in files, my grep hit xml
and spat out huge long lines of several thousand characters.

So loselong filters them out, replacing them with an 80 line output with an
ellipsis in the middle.

It's a very simple utility, presented in the hope that others will find it
useful.

Rui Maciel

Malcolm said:
There's a new utility on my website.

I wrote it because when I was grepping for symbols in files, my grep hit
xml and spat out huge long lines of several thousand characters.

So loselong filters them out, replacing them with an 80 line output with
an ellipsis in the middle.

It's a very simple utility, presented in the hope that others will find it
useful.

As no one bothered to post a replly, here are a couple of suggestions:
- adding a version number
- bundling the files in a zip file somewhere
- some comments on loselong.c would improve the readability
- in general, pointer arguments in loselong.c weren't validated

loselong.c:138
CBUFFER *cbuffer(int capacity) : switching from int with size_t would
eliminate the need to validate the input parameter.

Notwithstanding, thanks for sharing your work with the world. Great job.
Kudos!

Rui Maciel

Malcolm McLean

Malcolm McLean wrote:

As no one bothered to post a replly, here are a couple of suggestions:

- adding a version number

- bundling the files in a zip file somewhere

- some comments on loselong.c would improve the readability

- in general, pointer arguments in loselong.c weren't validated

loselong.c:138

CBUFFER *cbuffer(int capacity) : switching from int with size_t would

eliminate the need to validate the input parameter.

Notwithstanding, thanks for sharing your work with the world. Great job.

Kudos!
It's now been sourceforged.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/loselong/

so we've got version control. I'll look at validating pointer arguments.