Lost in J2ME, please help me!

Thiago Gama

Hello folks, I'm already a Java EE developer, but from know, I'll also
have to develop some applications for PocketPC's.

In fact I belive that Sun's CLDC have a lot of good tutorials and
books, but when it comes to CDC, it becomes quite hard to find a good
reference.

What I would ask you is: how may I set up a development enviroment?
I've already downloaded and installed IBM's Webspheare Device
Developer, but I'm lost! It does not have any emulator installed! I
can't configure one! There's no reference to a "J9 compiler"! What kind
of GUI api may I use?

Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Crouchinho

Thiago Gama said:
Hello folks, I'm already a Java EE developer, but from know, I'll also
have to develop some applications for PocketPC's.

In fact I belive that Sun's CLDC have a lot of good tutorials and
books, but when it comes to CDC, it becomes quite hard to find a good
reference.

What I would ask you is: how may I set up a development enviroment?

The Sun WTK is the best imo

David N. Welton

Thiago said:
Hello folks, I'm already a Java EE developer, but from know, I'll also
have to develop some applications for PocketPC's.

In fact I belive that Sun's CLDC have a lot of good tutorials and
books, but when it comes to CDC, it becomes quite hard to find a good
reference.

What I would ask you is: how may I set up a development enviroment?
I've already downloaded and installed IBM's Webspheare Device
Developer, but I'm lost! It does not have any emulator installed! I
can't configure one! There's no reference to a "J9 compiler"! What kind
of GUI api may I use?

You could try looking at Hecl (hecl.org) to script some applications
quickly, and then go back and recode in Java once you have an idea of
exactly what you want to do. Or simply extend the Hecl code with some
extra Java.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Jeff

David said:
You could try looking at Hecl (hecl.org) to script some applications
quickly, and then go back and recode in Java once you have an idea of
exactly what you want to do. Or simply extend the Hecl code with some
extra Java.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Another option is SuperWaba. I haven't played with it too much, but it
supports more of typical Java constructs and runs on lots of little
devices (Palm, Pocket PC, Symbian). www.superwaba.com

tom arnll

Thiago said:
Hello folks, I'm already a Java EE developer, but from know, I'll also
have to develop some applications for PocketPC's.

In fact I belive that Sun's CLDC have a lot of good tutorials and
books, but when it comes to CDC, it becomes quite hard to find a good
reference.

What I would ask you is: how may I set up a development enviroment?
I've already downloaded and installed IBM's Webspheare Device
Developer, but I'm lost! It does not have any emulator installed! I
can't configure one! There's no reference to a "J9 compiler"! What kind
of GUI api may I use?

I've recently gotten into j2me with Sun's WTK and like it a lot. But I had
to learn the hard way to use version 2.2 (even on sun's site there are
older versions available for download), and to use with it Java 1.4 (>not
1.5), per the wtk instructions. I don't however like all the clicking you
have to do to build and run, but I think i've devised a way around that.
Now if we could just have a faster compile and, better yet, a faster start
for the emulator ...

tom arnall
north spit, ca
usa