lost object files- recompiling give different binary size!!

linux_bp

I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
different compilation date and time?

Pep

linux_bp said:
I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
different compilation date and time?

Are you sure the source has not been modified in any way, or the libraries
you link against have not changed or that you have specified different
optimisation levels?

Ian Collins

Pep said:
linux_bp wrote:

Are you sure the source has not been modified in any way, or the libraries
you link against have not changed or that you have specified different
optimisation levels?
Or any of the tools have been updated.

Jim Langston

linux_bp said:
I had deleted my object files accidently. Now to analyse a core i need
object files. If I recompile the same source code with imake on
solaris, i m getting the binary of different size. Is it because of
different compilation date and time?

If everything is exactly the same, you should get the same file size,
although there may actually be trivial differences in the binary (the
compiler may put the date/time in the executable).

If you are getting a different executable size, something has changed.
Maybe a compile switch has changed (different optimization), maybe a header
or source file has changed, or something. Unfortunately, I can't tell you
what.

That is why a lot of shops will put together everything used to make a build
and archive it so they can get the same executable to go back to a version.