Lynx for Win XP

Nico said:
My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm) doesn't
work (anymore?) in Win XP.
I downloaded the 2.8.2rel.1 (old stable) from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm, unzipped to c:\lynx and changed
the lynx.bat:
@ECHO OFF
set home=c:\lynx
set temp=c:\tmp
set lynx_cfg=c:\lynx\lynx.cfg
lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

....can be used for testing until you get it going.
I browse with it under Linux sometimes, but found it
more bother than the pain to to get it running under
XP.

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest said:
Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
EXACTLY as I wanted it to in Lynx. (seriously)

Is the money of Lynx users somehow tainted?

Steve Pugh

Whitecrest said:
Just checked whitecrest with it. And I loved what I saw. It looked
EXACTLY as I wanted it to in Lynx. (seriously)

It says "Sorry, I can not present the materials on this site correctly
with out the use of frames, javascript and Flash. You must use these
if you are to expirience the site. Thank
you."

Ignoring the spelling error, this is what you want google to index?
Google for "expirience the site" and "Whitecrest Studios " and see
which one returns your site.

Why mention Flash? I can't find any Flash on your site.

And if you used a normal link with the target attribute (valid as
you're using a transitional DTD) then the site would work just fine
(work differently, but still work) in Lynx, or indeed any browser with
no support for iframes and/or JS.

I guess that you're just trying to be difficult.

Steve

Whitecrest

It says "Sorry, I can not present the materials on this site correctly
with out the use of frames, javascript and Flash. You must use these
if you are to expirience the site. Thank
you."

this is what you want google to index?

No one will ever search for it in Google. So that is moot.
Why mention Flash? I can't find any Flash on your site.

It's not there yet. Use to be, but I am moving it to another location.
And if you used a normal link with the target attribute (valid as
you're using a transitional DTD) then the site would work just fine
(work differently, but still work) in Lynx, or indeed any browser with
no support for iframes and/or JS.

Nope, it is working exactly as I want it to.
I guess that you're just trying to be difficult.

Different, never difficult.

Whitecrest

bednarz@fahr-zur- said:
I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
for my OS, have they, but I do view images when browsing the web with
lynx, so I suspect that I could watch flash movies as well if there was
a plugin, couldn't I?

You are free to watch it, change browsers. Pretty simple concept. If
you Can't change browsers for one reason or another,then you are SOL.
when it comes to flash. Your choice.

Eric B. Bednarz

Whitecrest said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

Please consider configuring your news client to produce a readable
attribution line. Citing the (possibly real) name of the poster (if one
is provided, which is usually the case) instead of the article ID would
help a lot. Thanks.
Nope, but they can't watch flash presentation can they.

I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
for my OS, have they, but I do view images when browsing the web with
lynx, so I suspect that I could watch flash movies as well if there was
a plugin, couldn't I?

picayunish

Nico Schuyt wrote in news:[email protected]:
My Lynx browser (from http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm) doesn't
work (anymore?) in Win XP.
I downloaded the 2.8.2rel.1 (old stable) from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm, unzipped to c:\lynx and
changed the lynx.bat:
@ECHO OFF
set home=c:\lynx
set temp=c:\tmp
set lynx_cfg=c:\lynx\lynx.cfg
lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

Result: it starts up normally but after "Go" to an URL nothing is shown.
Anyone a suggestion?

Try to use the .exe instead of the .bat
I have no problems with 2.8.3.

Nico Schuyt

picayunish said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
Try to use the .exe instead of the .bat
I have no problems with 2.8.3.

That's where I started :) Got a message like "document not found"
New trial: Removed everything, downlaoded and installed again and
experimented with the properties of the shortcut. Finally it works again.
Sometimes I hate that computer.
Nico

picayunish

Nico Schuyt wrote in news:[email protected]:
That's where I started :) Got a message like "document not found"
New trial: Removed everything, downlaoded and installed again and
experimented with the properties of the shortcut. Finally it works again.

Oops. I ment 2.8.4pre5
Sometimes I hate that computer.

But I love the DVD-Recordables for computers, especially when the are
defect.

Nico Schuyt

picayunish said:
But I love the DVD-Recordables for computers, especially when the are
defect.

At your age should feel passion for other things in life :)
Nico

Nico Schuyt

Leif said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
No, you hate the OS on that computer. Install Debian and everything
will be spiffy. :)

In principle you are right. Problem is that about everybody uses Win as OS.
Result will be that I still have to solve Win-problems for my customers (and
linux ones for myself :)
Cheers, Nico

Toby A Inkster

Eric said:
I couldn't say, since the alternative evil empire doesn't have a plugin
for my OS,

From your headers:

So I assume you're using Linux.

Flash 6 plugin for Linux:

http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html

Go get!

Won't work with Lynx though. It's a Netscape-style plugin (also supported
in Opera, Mozilla, etc) without a standalone executable.

Eric B. Bednarz

Toby A Inkster said:

<http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/faq.html>

| 8. Where is Flash for PowerPC Linux?
|
| It doesn't exist probably because Macromedia management doesn't
| feel there is demand.

And here's to Hypecrest:

| Sign the Flash plugin for Linux/PPC petition.

Since this is a web authoring group, here's some related fun:
<http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic10.jpg> (131.66KiB)
I doubt that there is any other OS/architecture combination where that
is possible (I don't meet the hardware requirements to do that,
unfortunately).
Won't work with Lynx though. It's a Netscape-style plugin (also supported
in Opera, Mozilla, etc) without a standalone executable.

That sucks anyway. For Losedoze, there is (or used to be, at least) a
standalone player included; as to the subject line, it might still
possible to view flash movies when browsing with lynx. :)