Maintaining State

Steve

I am building a system and sometimes need to maintain state on the server. I am considering using JBoss and Stateful Session Beans.
Can I do this just using Spring and Tomcat? If so, any pointers to articles or code would be especially helpful.

Thanks.

Steve

Manish Pandit

Steve said:
I am building a system and sometimes need to maintain state on the server. I am considering using JBoss and Stateful Session Beans.
Can I do this just using Spring and Tomcat? If so, any pointers to articles or code would be especially helpful.

Thanks.

Steve

If your app is a web-application, you can maintain the state in the
session - in which case tomcat would work. However, its not a good
practice to store business state in a session - it should be in the
business tier.

Which brings the choice of Spring - sure, using a Spring container you
can achieve EJB-like functionality, or you can use Spring to talk to
EJBs. So you can use tomcat+spring to achieve the solution.

If you have evaluated Jboss and are comfortable with it, I believe that
Stateful EJBs should be a good fit. If Spring is something you'd have
to learn, then it might carry its own learning curve.

Here is Spring intro:
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=SpringFramework

Here is the Spring/EJB documentation:
http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/reference/ejb.html