Mandrake Linux 9: Why isn't bsddb working?

Dfenestr8

I started off trying to use bsddb with my standard mandrake 9 python 2.2.1
package. The shell reported back no such module. Strange, thinks I. I
thought it was standard in the package, it was when I was using Windows.

So I uninstalled Python, downloaded the latest python 2.3 and compiled it
from source.

Now when I try to import bsddb, I get this error......
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py", line 40, in ?
import _bsddb

What might I have done wrong, and/or what should I do to fix it?

Skip Montanaro

You probably don't have the necessary -devel RPM installed.

(If you don't want direct replies, choose a more obviously invalid email
address. If you do want replies, choose a more obviously valid email
address. "home.org" is a valid domain. "(e-mail address removed)" is a bit vague.)

Skip

Dfenestr8

You probably don't have the necessary -devel RPM installed.

(If you don't want direct replies, choose a more obviously invalid email
address. If you do want replies, choose a more obviously valid email
address. "home.org" is a valid domain. "(e-mail address removed)" is a bit vague.)

Skip

That might have been true while I was using the rpm package.

But currently I'm using the source package Python-2.3.tgz.

Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=

Dfenestr8 said:
That might have been true while I was using the rpm package.

But currently I'm using the source package Python-2.3.tgz.

That package does not include the BSDDB header files. Instead, you
need to install those header files from your system's CD-ROM. As Skip
explains, the package containing them most likely has the string
"-devel" in its name.

Regards,
Martin

Skip Montanaro

Skip> You probably don't have the necessary -devel RPM installed.

Doesn't matter. The _bsddb module can't be built if the relevant header
files and libraries are not in place.

Skip

Dfenestr8

Skip> You probably don't have the necessary -devel RPM installed.

Doesn't matter. The _bsddb module can't be built if the relevant header
files and libraries are not in place.

Skip

The rpm -devel package just won't install unless it detects I have python
itself installed as an rpm. And I kind of like the version of IDLE that
comes with Python 2.3, so I'd rather keep it. (Also, I'm not completely
sure how to uninstall it. "make uninstall" doesn't work).

So is there no way I can get the correct header files from source?

Stuart D. Gathman

The rpm -devel package just won't install unless it detects I have
python itself installed as an rpm. And I kind of like the version of
IDLE that comes with Python 2.3, so I'd rather keep it. (Also, I'm not
completely sure how to uninstall it. "make uninstall" doesn't work).

Skip is talking about the devel RPMs for bsddb. For instance, do you
have db3-devel installed? Or db4-devel? On RedHat 7, the default bsd db
is db3-3.2.9. You would need db3-devel installed to get the bsddb module
built.