minimum cache time

Joseph

Has anyone implement a mechanism to retain the cache up to a minimum cache
time even though it is supposed to get invalidated? I asked this because I
don't want to increase the load on the database server for caches that are
frequently invalidated and a database retrieval is required. I want to be
able to keep the cache and use it within a specified small period of time
(the minimum cache time mentioned above).

thanks,
Joseph

Nicole Calinoiu

Is there some problem with the simple approach of not invalidating in any
manner other than the desired timeout?

Joseph

Say the same cache object is dependent on the output of several pages
returned from different web methods. I have a web method (call it WM1) and I
want only this web method to retain the cache even though the cache is
supposed to get invalidated. All the other web methods dependent on this
cache objects will refresh the data from the database after the cache get
invalidated. If I don't invalidate the cache and utilize the timeout then
all web methods other than WM1 will get the data from the cache instead of
from the database. In other words, my goal is that the data returned from
WM1 does not require to be up to date within a small time limit (minimum
cache time) whilst the data returned from other web methods require to be
most up to date.

thanks,
Joseph