Misaligning text columns in fop

Vepxistqaosani

I'm trying to set a document in two columns using fop (0.20.5).
Unfortunately, when the two columns do not have exactly the same amount
of material, the baselines of the first lines of the two columns do not
align. They can be as much as 1.5 lines off.

fop does not seem to have implemented .minimum and .maximum (or
..conditionality or .precedence) in space-before and space-after, so the
vertical spaces in the columns are constant rather than mutable. This
seems to be at least part of the problem.

Neither does giving a value to display-align in the region-body make any
difference.

Is there any help for this? Or would it be easier to write an XSL
transform to TeX and then create my PDF with PDFTeX?

Thanks!