Mixed-mode authentication for html vs xml content

Matt

Hi,

I am building an asp.net web application using my own library of
business objects. I am implementing Forms authentication and have
created my own classes that implement IIdentity and IPrincipal, and it
all works really nicely.

However, one of the requirements of the web application is that it
serves content as xml (such as rss) as well as html. Protecting my rss
page with Forms authentication doesn't work because the authentication
is applied by the application itself, rather than IIS, and so any feed
readers don't have the opportunity to give credentials - they are given
a "Permission Denied" error because they don't have an authenticated
session.

You could always put the credentials into the request string of the rss
url (http://localhost/rss.aspx?username=foo&password=bar) but that
means sending credentials in the clear with the url which I am not keen
on.

Is there any way of using IIS/Windows authentication with my custom
Identity and Principal for the xml parts of my application and Forms
for the html side?

Many thanks!