Modern Ruby RPMS for Old Distros?

Kyle Schmitt

Does anyone know of a site that has rpms of a reasonable (at least
1.8) ruby for a variety of older linux distros?

I was getting ready to test some scripts on my servers, and have been
having problems getting modern enough ruby binaries for older installs
like Red Hat Enterprise 2.1 AS.

Given the nature of these servers it's not reasonable to upgrade them
to a more modern OS, and these servers do not have the development
packages on them (I found that out after attempting to build ruby on
one such server where I could spare the cycles).

Failing finding modern ruby rpms for older distributions, can a truly
static build of ruby work? Adding --disable-shared --enable-static to
/configure doesn't seem to work (and yes, that's on a modern box :).

Thanks all.
--Kyle

Kyle Schmitt

Not really :) I found that before.
A source rpm for ruby 1.6.4 won't quite cut it as far as I know ;)
--Kyle

Kyle Schmitt

Maybe you can install the old OS on a new (or just unused) machine, install
the development libraries, and build a (S)RPM that could be used by the
server?

Regards,

I've been thinking of that, but that'll mean doing that for three
different (old) versions of redhat.
Not exactly a fun time, though doable.

--Kyle