mongrel fails to install

Thufir

I'm going to play around with it, but why would it fail? permissions?

C:\code>
C:\code>gem install mongrel
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
1. mongrel 1.1.1 (ruby)
2. mongrel 1.1.1 (jruby)
3. mongrel 1.1.1 (mswin32)
4. mongrel 1.1 (mswin32)
5. mongrel 1.1 (ruby)
6. mongrel 1.1 (jruby)
7. Skip this gem
8. Cancel installation
Install required dependency gem_plugin? [Yn] y
Install required dependency cgi_multipart_eof_fix? [Yn] y
Install required dependency daemons? [Yn] y
Install required dependency fastthread? [Yn] y
Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
1. fastthread 1.0.1 (mswin32)
2. fastthread 1.0.1 (ruby)
3. Skip this gem
4. Cancel installation
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install mongrel
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
fastthread-1.0
1 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1/ext/
fastthread
/gem_make.out

C:\code>
C:\code>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\code>

thanks,

Thufir

Alex Young

Thufir said:
[...]

You're trying to build a native extension on a platform without a
compiler. Select the mswin32 option for fastthread.

Luis Lavena

You're trying to build a native extension on a platform without a
compiler. Select the mswin32 option for fastthread.

The same goes for Mongrel, just install the mswin32 version which
ships with the precompiled extensions.

Luis Lavena

I've been running into the same problem with the latest updates. Even when I
select the mswin32 version of fastthread it tries to compile, and fails. So,
the first issue I'm encountering is that gem updates are trying to compile
native versions when it should be installing precompiled extensions.

There is a pre-compiled version of fastthread on the site. Also, the
mswin32 gems did not depend on fastthread (it doesn't include it as
dependency).

Let me ask you: did you upgraded your RubyGem installation, right? the
official 0.9.5 version currently don't handle the mswin32 platform
correctly. Fixes are in svn, but still no official word.

you should revert to 0.9.4 and try installing mongrel again.
The second issue is the compile failures. I do have VC8 installed, which
some research has suggested might be the problem here - I've seen comments
to the effect that only VC6 or VC7 will work for gems. Can anybody confirm
or deny this before I switch out my Visual Studio installation?

VC7 (VC2003 or 7.1, whatever you like to call it) it "almost"
compatible with the build or Ruby, which was done with VC6.

If you're lucky enough to get a license of VC6 (ebay maybe?), you can
set it and start compiling mongrel and their dependencies :)

VC8 is a no no, since it requires tweaks to rbconfig.rb to include the
manifest definitions and also face a cross-linking of runtime
information (MSVCRT.dll vs. MSVCR80.DLL) -- That could be a real
nightmare.