Moving from C++03 to C++11

retro54321

Could someone please suggest a good book (or any kind of resource) for someone who's very familiar with C++03 and who wants to get up to speed with C++11.

(I was considering getting the 4th addition of Bjarne's book, but rather than read about the entire language from start to finish, I just want to focus on the new stuff brought in with C++11).

Rhino

Öö Tiib

Could someone please suggest a good book (or any kind of resource) for someone who's very familiar with C++03 and who wants to get up to speed with C++11.

That PDF for 30$ fits perhaps best with what you ask:
http://www.artima.com/shop/overview_of_the_new_cpp
(I was considering getting the 4th addition of Bjarne's book, but rather than read about the entire language from start to finish, I just want to focus on the new stuff brought in with C++11).

The updated revisions of good old books are worth getting anyway "C++ Primer",
"The C++ Programming Language" and "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference".

woodbrian77

There's an archive you can download here:

http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html

that uses a number of C++ 2011 features.
If you are already very familiar with C++03, then I think this is quite
a decent place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++11

I use that also.

And when you want more info on a particular feature, just google it.

Duckduckgo doesn't track people's searches like some
of the other search engines.

https://duckduckgo.com

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

woodbrian77

That's what they say, but how can you be sure they don't?

I'm not 100% sure, but there are a few clues.

They are a small company and I think they are
probably all on the same page. They advertise
that they don't track, so if they were secretly
tracking they would be risking a self-inflicted
wound. Their jobs and investment in the company
would be hurt by that.

I've read a little about them and have heard the
CEO on TV.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.
http://webEbenezer.net

Saeed Amrollahi

Could someone please suggest a good book (or any kind of resource) for someone who's very familiar with C++03 and who wants to get up to speed with C++11.

(I was considering getting the 4th addition of Bjarne's book, but rather than read about the entire language from start to finish, I just want to focus on the new stuff brought in with C++11).

Rhino

Hi Rhino
I guess the best approach to move from C++03 to C++11 is a mixture
of reading books, watching C++ Videos and writing programs using new compilers
like Visual Studio 2012, GCC 4.9.0 and Clang.
I believe the first and best resource for you is the C++11 FAQ by Bjarne Stroustrup:
http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html
It's freely available. I can't count how much I referred to this link during last 5 years ago!
The 4th edition of The C++ Programming Language by him is thick book
(1200+ pages), but you can read another book by this great man: A Tour of C++:
http://www.stroustrup.com/Tour.html

The following paper is related to issue:
Bjarne Stroustrup: What is C++0x?. CVu. Vol 21, Issues 4 and 5. 2009.

Also, you can read the following 3-parts interview:
Interview with Debasish Jana for The Computer Society of India:
Part 1: Paradigm & Philosophy, June 2011.
Part 2: Evolution of C++ towards C++0x, July 2011.
Part 3: C++0x Technicalities and Intricacies, August 2011.

If you prefer watching video, I strongly recommend the seminars GoingNative2012, and GoingNative 2013. You can download videos and seminars from There are several seminars by Bjarne Stroustrup, Herb Sutter, Stephen T. Lavavej, Hans Boehm and Sean Parent which address your issue.
Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo have the following 3-parts papers:
- 4 Useful New Features in C++0x
- 3 Most Useful Library Features of C++0x
- C++0x's Tools for Library Authors

At last, may be the following seminar by me can help you:
http://www.saeedamrollahi.com/edu/C++11-SRTTU.pdf

HTH,
-- Saeed Amrollahi Boyouki

P.S The title of your post is motivating, and I'll try to prepare a seminar
under that.