    Could someone please suggest a good book (or any kind of resource) for someone who's very familiar with C++03 and who wants to get up to speed with C++11.

    (I was considering getting the 4th addition of Bjarne's book, but rather than read about the entire language from start to finish, I just want to focus on the new stuff brought in with C++11).

    Rhino

    retro54321, Jan 27, 2014

  2. retro54321

    Öö Tiib Guest

    That PDF for 30$ fits perhaps best with what you ask:
    http://www.artima.com/shop/overview_of_the_new_cpp
    The updated revisions of good old books are worth getting anyway "C++ Primer",
    "The C++ Programming Language" and "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference".

    Öö Tiib, Jan 27, 2014

  3. retro54321

    woodbrian77 Guest

    There's an archive you can download here:

    http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html

    that uses a number of C++ 2011 features.
    I use that also.

    Duckduckgo doesn't track people's searches like some
    of the other search engines.

    https://duckduckgo.com

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Jan 27, 2014
  4. retro54321

    Ike Naar Guest

    That's what they say, but how can you be sure they don't?

    Ike Naar, Jan 27, 2014
  5. retro54321

    K. Frank Guest

    Hello Rhino!

    I have found Bjarne Stroustrup's C++11 FAQ:

    http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html

    to be a good starting point. It's not complete (yet?),
    and it's not highly detailed, but I have found it to be
    very useful.

    Good luck.

    K. Frank

    K. Frank, Jan 28, 2014
  6. retro54321

    woodbrian77 Guest

    I'm not 100% sure, but there are a few clues.

    They are a small company and I think they are
    probably all on the same page. They advertise
    that they don't track, so if they were secretly
    tracking they would be risking a self-inflicted
    wound. Their jobs and investment in the company
    would be hurt by that.

    I've read a little about them and have heard the
    CEO on TV.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Jan 28, 2014
  7. Hi Rhino
    I guess the best approach to move from C++03 to C++11 is a mixture
    of reading books, watching C++ Videos and writing programs using new compilers
    like Visual Studio 2012, GCC 4.9.0 and Clang.
    I believe the first and best resource for you is the C++11 FAQ by Bjarne Stroustrup:
    http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html
    It's freely available. I can't count how much I referred to this link during last 5 years ago!
    The 4th edition of The C++ Programming Language by him is thick book
    (1200+ pages), but you can read another book by this great man: A Tour of C++:
    http://www.stroustrup.com/Tour.html

    The following paper is related to issue:
    Bjarne Stroustrup: What is C++0x?. CVu. Vol 21, Issues 4 and 5. 2009.

    Also, you can read the following 3-parts interview:
    Interview with Debasish Jana for The Computer Society of India:
    Part 1: Paradigm & Philosophy, June 2011.
    Part 2: Evolution of C++ towards C++0x, July 2011.
    Part 3: C++0x Technicalities and Intricacies, August 2011.

    If you prefer watching video, I strongly recommend the seminars GoingNative2012, and GoingNative 2013. You can download videos and seminars from There are several seminars by Bjarne Stroustrup, Herb Sutter, Stephen T. Lavavej, Hans Boehm and Sean Parent which address your issue.
    Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo have the following 3-parts papers:
    - 4 Useful New Features in C++0x
    - 3 Most Useful Library Features of C++0x
    - C++0x's Tools for Library Authors

    At last, may be the following seminar by me can help you:
    http://www.saeedamrollahi.com/edu/C++11-SRTTU.pdf

    HTH,
    -- Saeed Amrollahi Boyouki

    P.S The title of your post is motivating, and I'll try to prepare a seminar
    under that.

    Saeed Amrollahi, Jan 29, 2014