Moving to new form of usenet ideas?

galathaea

Quite often I take offense to assholes pontificating about what others
should be allowed to discuss.

that is also a weakness i have
which i end up pontificating about
fueling a vicious cycle...

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Eric Jacobsen

Maybe I don't use my filters properly but in any case its ridiculous. About
1 out of every 8 OT's in sci.electronics.basics is spam. I get tired of
blocking these.

Sci.Math has been flooded with the same spam but also about 1 out of every
100 posts(which is significant because Sci.Math is pretty active) is someone
asking for a solutions manual.

It will only get worse and I just think that nipping the problems in the bud
is the best solution instead of waiting until their full blown.

It's the same problem as with email, which is largely solved, for
those who care, by filters in servers and client software. This
could be done completely independently of any protocol or user
behavior in usenet. It would, however, require an investment by
_somebody_, likely the ISPs, but since usenet is so lightly used
compared to email I wouldn't hold my breath.

Again, if you want people to take you seriously or get behind you,
have a proposal that makes sense that provides a genuine means to get
you (and a lot of others) something of benefit. Just showing up,
spamming a bunch of disinterested newsgroups with an OT message, and
complaining without any apparent clue of how to solve the stated
problem is just going to, well, just has, annoy people.

Yes, I have noticed. That is why some type of self moderating idea would
work better. That is, by keeping track of the regular users(the hard part
then is spoofing problems) then it would allow them to vote on some of the
problems that moderation is suppose to solve.

That's a death-knell for usenet. The beauty of usenet is that most
groups are unmoderated and belong to no-one. If you want a moderated
forum there are web-apps for that or discussion groups that already
exist. Why take away the big benefit of usenet to make it just like
everything else that has popped up?

Who picks your "self-moderators"? How much authority do they have?
How do you police the moderators? It sounds like a way to create
another Wikipedia-like disaster.
Maybe not the best method but just an idea. I'm sure there are better ones.
Point was to bring up the issues to get a discussion about it and get the
ideas flowing to improve on something. A lot of people seem to have taken
offense to this.

You've gotten the discussion going. You should listen to the

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.ericjacobsen.org

Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason

If enough people are interested in doing this then maybe we can put
something together. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

You forgot RETARD REPELLANT, you retarded KOOK ****. Then, we could
keep retarded, cross-posting fucks like YOU OUT!

Michael A. Terrell

Lester said:
Never happened to me or anyone else of course.

Sigh. So many idiots, so little time. The sig file is used to
remind an online stalker that he hasn't managed to interfere with my
volunteer work to help other disabled veterans. Take it any way you
want to.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell

Default said:
Yeah, and LOT of those guys are dead now. Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah, old age kills a LOT of people. Around here, its over 200
Veterans, every 90 days.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason

Hmm... But yet its ok for you to do it?

He had to make sure that his answer made it into your fucked in the
head brain, boy.

YOU are the cross-poster, YOU are the SPAMMER. Someone replying, and
including all of YOUR original groups is NOT guilty of the same crime
that YOU ARE, you stupid ****!

Michael A. Terrell

Rick said:
Heh. I did a lot of things in the Army that I (happily) haven't
done since.

Spam is better than the C rations, K rations or MREs I've tried.

As far as what i did in the service? I was a broadcast engineer for
AFRTS.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell

Lester said:
I always thought freedom of speech was self moderating. I guess not.

Maybe the group you are posting from will be hit with over 50,000 bot
posts in one day, the next time around. it really plugged up SED for a
while. it took me about a half hour to downlad the headers and delete
them, to find the 50 or so real posts that morning, but I'm on
broadbnd. the dialup guys weren't so lucky.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell

Herbert said:
You forgot RETARD REPELLANT, you retarded KOOK ****. Then, we could
keep retarded, cross-posting fucks like YOU OUT!

And any computer you got within 50 feet of would implode, dimBulb.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason

Sorry for all the cross posting but I'm interesting in getting a serious
discussion about how usenet has become lately.

Many people are moving away from usenet because of all the spam and cooks
that have been showing up. The rate of spammer seem to be growing
exponentially(ok, not really but it feels like it).
[sip]

I like the wild wild west feel of usenet. Raw, unmoderated and free :)
Yeeee hahhhhh....bang bang bang

" Yer jus' spittin' out words to see where they splatter..." -John Wayne

ChairmanOfTheBored

Stop blowing up all those electrolytics! Do you have ANY idea how
hard it is to clean that crap off the ceiling?

That must be what happened to your brain... errr your jaw... errr...
both!

It's all clear now. We all now know why you act so retarded.

Cap Paste!

John Larkin

Maybe the group you are posting from will be hit with over 50,000 bot
posts in one day, the next time around. it really plugged up SED for a
while. it took me about a half hour to downlad the headers and delete
them, to find the 50 or so real posts that morning, but I'm on
broadbnd. the dialup guys weren't so lucky.

I never saw them. Supernews must have zapped them first.

John

Don Lancaster

Eric said:
[...]

The solution is PIOEP (Poison ivy over Ethernet Protocol).
Absolutely guaranteed to instantly eliminate any and all undesirable
emails, spam, and newsgroup posts.

See http://www.tinaja.com/glib/psnt.pdf , example 5

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email: (e-mail address removed)

Michael A. Terrell

John said:
I never saw them. Supernews must have zapped them first.

They did. Earthlink hadn't changed over to Supernews at that point.
I see very little spam, since the change over.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell

ChairmanOfTheBored said:
That must be what happened to your brain... errr your jaw... errr...
both!

It's all clear now. We all now know why you act so retarded.

Cap Paste!

You don't know ANYTHING. You are the jackoff all trades, the
masterbater of nome.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

ChairmanOfTheBored

Yeah, and LOT of those guys are dead now. Coincidence? I think not.

Considering that they would be well into their nineties by now...

You're an Idiot. Coincidence? I KNOW not!

Most of them lived longer than any generations of homo sapiens going in
the last several centuries.

You're just another Usenet retard.