mp3 manipulation in java

hilz

Hi
I am trying to do the following:
open an mp3 file, read a certain segment from the file (based on some
start and end time mark) and write this segment to a new file.

I tried to look at the Java Media Framework, but it is awfully
complicated and does not seem to have good documentation or examples.
In addition, to be able to work with mp3 files, this framework needs a
separate plugin that needs to be installed, and it seems to be only for
windows. there doesn't seem to be a cross platfrom solution.... what's
up with that?

Is there another platform independant way of doing this without using
the Java Media Framework?
Is there any other opensource/free framework for doing what i want to do?

please help.

thanks

Andrew Thompson

hilz said:
...Java Media Framework, ...
In addition, to be able to work with mp3 files, this framework needs a
separate plugin that needs to be installed, and it seems to be only for
windows. there doesn't seem to be a cross platfrom solution.... what's
up with that?

Licensing issues. AFAIU, the JMF hooks into some native Windows
API for writing MP3's, neatly sidestepping the need to obtain
a license to write MP3 format.
Is there another platform independant way of doing this without using
the Java Media Framework?
Is there any other opensource/free framework for doing what i want to do?

Framework? Possibly. Free/open source? I doubt it.

hilz

You might wanna try JLayer, which is an open-source
pure Java MP3 decoder.

.rex
Thanks rex
i just saw that. Sounds promising, but there is no documentation or
examples. The only documentation is the javadoc and it is not very
descriptive either.

thanks